Vision

Decision-Making Frameworks/Mental Models for Strategic Thinking?

5 posts in this topic

I’m contemplating how I can best think of my current health situation. Journaling is the key thing that is helping me crystallise my thinking. 

An issue with my mentality when it comes to finances, is that I am hesitant and frugal when it comes to spending my money when it’s better not to be. I always earned money, but very sparingly spent it. 

This likely comes from the scarcity mindset I grew up with. This leads to me not thinking ‘big picture’ enough though. I think that, if I had just spent a few more thousands on my health treatment a year ago, I would have probably avoided wasting many months of spinning my wheels and wasting my time. Even with this being an emergency situation, costing me my productivity and quality of life, I was still being frugal with how I spent my money in this area.

In hindsight, I think that this was a strategic blunder. 

Now, I’ve had enough. I’m not spinning my wheels trying to save money at the cost of time when it comes to my health anymore. 

So, to avoid strategic blunders like these in the future, I’m looking for frameworks and mental models that help in making decisions. 

One example is the Eisenhower Matrix. But that’s just for productivity. 

Another example is an aspirational hourly rate. The idea is that if a task or problem has an ROI less than your aspirational hourly rate, you either delegate it or simply disregard it completely. This single idea made me a lot more effective in my previous business/life purpose.

Does anyone know of any thing of this sort for big decisions? Things that make you zoom out and think more ‘big picture’? 

In my opinion, you are setting a mental trap for yourself here, forget about the intellectual stuff. When I say this, I am taking into account your signature.

Act first then from your actions you will find and customize a mental model you already know (or you will discover one along the way).

What must the first action be? To be generous with others, consistently.

What does generosity mean? In your case: give money to non-profit and see people you have avoided seeing (scarcity mindset applied to relationships).

It's okay if there is a back & forth pattern.

If you don't do this, you will be solving the scarcity mindset with a scarcity mindset and you will also probably never actually act because you will loose yourself in conceptualization and planning.

Edited by SriSriJustinBieber

53 minutes ago, Vision said:

Does anyone know of any thing of this sort for big decisions? Things that make you zoom out and think more ‘big picture’? 

Write down what you want. Then write down what order that has to happen in - like what has to be done before what.

Can also write down a list of options in one direction and a list of values in the other direction and then score each one and see what comes up with the highest score.

Can also ask yourself, what is the thing I want to be doing the most?  What do I want to do with this temporary life and what is going to make that happen?  What is the most important thing for me to do/focus on right now?

How does this feel?  If it feels bad, why am I still doing it or why does it feel that way?  What feels good?  What am I good at?  What am I going to feel good about doing 10 years from now that I can do now?  What knowledge/skills do I still need?  What am I curious about?

Who/how do I want to be?  What do I want to create?  What do I want to leave behind?  What inspires/wows me?

Edited by PepperBlossoms

Just make sure your money is 'working' and not idling. Calculate how much money you need to have as liquid assets and make sure you have that at hand as a minimum. And invest the rest into; your health, crypto, courses for self advancement, stocks, your business, your network etc. Make sure you have a reason and a plan what you are investing it in and consider the ROI before you put down the cash.

What you are doing now is 'turtling' with your resources, which is a suboptimal strategy. It's better than wasting it on nonsense, but still not optimal.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@SriSriJustinBieber I do know that action trumps thinking and conceptualizing. I was just wondering if there are any other models that could potentially be useful.

I'm not thinking "Once I find the best decision-making model, then I'll take action." I know that's a trap and that's not how I'm going about this. 

See people I've avoided seeing? Like who? 

On 3/22/2022 at 10:28 AM, PepperBlossoms said:

Write down what you want. Then write down what order that has to happen in - like what has to be done before what.

Can also write down a list of options in one direction and a list of values in the other direction and then score each one and see what comes up with the highest score.

Can also ask yourself, what is the thing I want to be doing the most?  What do I want to do with this temporary life and what is going to make that happen?  What is the most important thing for me to do/focus on right now?

How does this feel?  If it feels bad, why am I still doing it or why does it feel that way?  What feels good?  What am I good at?  What am I going to feel good about doing 10 years from now that I can do now?  What knowledge/skills do I still need?  What am I curious about?

Who/how do I want to be?  What do I want to create?  What do I want to leave behind?  What inspires/wows me?

@PepperBlossoms Thanks for your input. These are very good questions to repeatedly be reflecting on. Thanks for the reminder. 

On 3/22/2022 at 0:06 PM, vizual said:

Just make sure your money is 'working' and not idling. Calculate how much money you need to have as liquid assets and make sure you have that at hand as a minimum. And invest the rest into; your health, crypto, courses for self advancement, stocks, your business, your network etc. Make sure you have a reason and a plan what you are investing it in and consider the ROI before you put down the cash.

What you are doing now is 'turtling' with your resources, which is a suboptimal strategy. It's better than wasting it on nonsense, but still not optimal.

@vizual 
What do you mean by 'idling' and 'turtling'?

You mentioned network, which I assume are social resources, how can I invest into my network and social resources?