Ulax

Dyslexia

3 posts in this topic

Anyone got any advice on dealing with dyslexia?

Thanks in advance

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

You should ask our ex- prime minister. She has dyslexia.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Ulax I assume that you want a method which makes it easier to decode symbolic information in general, this is naive. 

That is like distrusting your brain, it does what it is supposed to by nature. The answer for dealing with dyslexia so far as by that you mean learning symbolic representation of concepts is to practice a lot, chances are fat that despite the ambiguity of every science which has to do with mind your and my brain is wired the way they represent concepts in a similar way.

I were diagnosed at 11, without the effort I put into acquiring English and Norwegian (I had a dyslexic Grandmother who were also a teacher) I could never end up having it my way with English as I do now twice that age.

If you are less fortunate as in facing teachers that do not specialize the curriculum to your needs then I would suggest making language a monster that only you can face and only you can tame, and do know that when you have tamed it chances are fat you can use it better than most and in ways they can not even imagine.

I can now effortlessly find five or ten ways of saying the same thing, I can read a given thing and find a better and denser way of writing it automatically, in part I think this skill to this extent comes from my dyslexia. 

Three years ago despite being fluent in English I could not by means of it explicate a hundredth of my ideas, now at 22 the ratio has turned on its head. This, had I given up at 12 would be impossible. It still is tiresome, mind you, processing language, but what is the point of life if we resent the challenges it presents us? 

I am unsure how old you are, but the older you are the better it would be for you to obsess with syntax in particular than grammar and spelling in general. 

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?