Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
electroBeam

What Does This Mean? - Osho Quote

2 posts in this topic

I'm reading a book by Osho called the secret of secrets and in this book there is the following except:

Just see the contradiction: emptiness and life. Life is male, emptiness is female. Life and emptiness
– both are two aspects of the inner God. When you have not chosen either in pre-ference to the
other, when you have not chosen at all – you have been just a watcher – you become that God
whose one aspect is life and whose other aspect is death, whose one aspect is perfection and
whose other aspect is nothingness.
THEREFORE WHEN THE LIGHT CIRCULATES, THE ENERGIES OF THE WHOLE BODY
APPEAR BEFORE ITS THRONE...
And when the light moves inwards and circulates inside your being, because there is no outlet left....
That’s what meditation is. That’s what Buddha is doing under the Bodhi Tree.

You sit silently, you close all the doors, and the light circulates within. Then for the first time you
become aware of the body and all that the body contains – all its mysteries. This small body contains
all the mysteries of the universe. It is a miniature cosmos.

I don't understand the bolded part. What is Osho trying to tell us to do in his book? Not get attached to either emptiness or phenomena in our meditation practices?

"because there is no outer left" does that mean when there is no attachment left thoughts just circulate aimlessly around and that's good for some reason?

A little confused... thanks!

41 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

I don't understand the bolded part. What is Osho trying to tell us to do in his book? Not get attached to either emptiness or phenomena in our meditation practices?

Yes, exactly. This has become quite clear to me in my own experience from meditation and doing "consciousness work." Once you experience "emptiness" you know what it is, know what it feels like and its beautiful, but getting attached to that experience will prevent you from experiencing it again. Since your ego is then expecting it or wanting something to happen, i.e. not letting go and accepting what is. When I stopped "caring" and just meditated to meditate, I had more of these insights and experiences than before, and stronger.

Phenomena that happen are just phenomena that happen. Nothing more. When they do, just realise it did happen and move on. The experience might be cool or bring with it a new understanding(most of the time), just take that and live your life as you would otherwise. 

47 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

"because there is no outer left" does that mean when there is no attachment left thoughts just circulate aimlessly around and that's good for some reason?

In a way , yes. You see more clearly that the thoughts are just thoughts and so very not you. Nothing to do with you. You just let them be, do their thing. I mean, they circulate aimlessly around anyway don't they? It only doesn't feel that way because of ego attachment to them. This is good because you're then detached from your thoughts and you can observe them more in daily life. In my experience, all of this becomes the most obvious and have the best effect when you bring it into everything your doing in your day. Not just when your meditating. Of course that requires a fair bit of meditation already.

"Because there is no outer left" that's a very nice description. In some of my meditations this is very accurate. Once it felt like I resided in my chest area. Like I was the energy inside the body, not the body itself. Hence, "because there is no outer left", you just feel that everything takes place in awareness, consciousness or whatever. And this is very clear and real to you. Sometimes its like a void of silence or a bubble of silence, and everything outside of that is just "meh". You just understand what's real and what's illusory a lot more. 

Hope this helps :)  

Memento Mori 

Flow With Life
https://trondsworld.com