Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmcnicho

Should Solipsism Be Spoken of in the 1st person (I, me) or the 2nd person (you)

3 posts in this topic

I’ve heard it spoken of in both ways, and I’m wondering if both could be true despite sounding contradictory, or if one version is more correct

Example:  
I am the only consciousness and all others are my imagination, so when I talk to others, I’m talking to myself

Versus:

You are the only consciousness and all others are your imagination, so when you talk to others, you’re talking to yourself

If I were to tell someone they weren’t conscious, they could easily try to refute me by saying they were.  I could of course respond by saying I’m just imagining them saying that, which perhaps is correct

However, if I told someone that they were the only consciousness, it would perhaps be easier for them to understand the idea, but wouldn’t I be lying because I know myself to be conscious?

1 hour ago, bmcnicho said:

but wouldn’t I be lying because I know myself to be conscious?

If you've awoken your lucid dreaming....

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@bmcnicho as long as it seems like Something is happening, you're lying to yourself, because it's (You're) all nothing/everything. 

You are One (infinity, nothing, everything, etc.), pretending (lying to yourself, dreaming, imagining, etc.) to be Many (finite, limited, something, etc.). 

"You find out that the universe is a system that creeps up on itself and says 'Boo' and then laughs at itself for jumping." - Alan Watts

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."