Brenzo2

A question about Solipsism & 'other'.

6 posts in this topic

Why is Solipsism often associated with loneliness, detachment, and feelings of indifference to the outside world, why may it be interpreted this way, with this kind of spin on it by some minds? I have even known someone who had this experience.

Since discovering Solipsism in my early teens and contemplating throughout my twenties; having lots of new insights etc. I have become less lonely, less detached, had less indifference to the world.

The reality that 'other' doesn't exist is not sad or negative. 'other' doesnt exist because all is the self. And if there is nothing but self then there can be nothing outside of the self to compare it to. This is the same as it not existing and as there being no self.

This doesn't mean to say we act as if, or believe that there is no self as is conceptually understood though. We still play roles and get along with life as we did before just fully recontexualised?

Can anyone else share their thoughts or their own personal experiences / insight with Solipsism?

I do see the irony & paradox in this thread. And while I'm not really looking for confirmation or to change my mind, I welcome any thoughts anyone would like to share, or questions.

Excluding Leo as he doesn't want to speak on this topic anymore & that's totally ok.

Edited by Brenzo2

Look into a mirror. You know the person in the mirror is just the image reflected in the mirror, you know it is not a sentient being. You don't find awareness in the head of the image of the person in the mirror, you find it here.

When looking at other people, that is also where they are.

There is NO NEED to rob them of their lives and perception as Leo has been teaching. As long as you understand it is happening "here" and NOT in the image's head. The person is just an image... You think you experienced more than whatever finite set of experience is on your mind right now: e.g. if you aren't currently looking at green, you believe you have experienced green in the past and that it was experienced by you from the perspective of here.

The only way you can attach you-ness to that memory of seeing green once is because you remember it. And that is when people believe in p-zombie solipsism, when they believe in linear time and also neglect the memory function. See another person's perspective is just like your perspective last week, except you don't remember it.

This is allowed for by there not being any real linear time. Linear time is the only way the infinite can be experienced (if you overlayed a bunch of separate colors, none of those individual colors remain as they all intermingle).

47 minutes ago, RMQualtrough said:

Look into a mirror. You know the person in the mirror is just the image reflected in the mirror, you know it is not a sentient being. You don't find awareness in the head of the image of the person in the mirror, you find it here.

When looking at other people, that is also where they are.

There is NO NEED to rob them of their lives and perception as Leo has been teaching. As long as you understand it is happening "here" and NOT in the image's head. The person is just an image... You think you experienced more than whatever finite set of experience is on your mind right now: e.g. if you aren't currently looking at green, you believe you have experienced green in the past and that it was experienced by you from the perspective of here.

The only way you can attach you-ness to that memory of seeing green once is because you remember it. And that is when people believe in p-zombie solipsism, when they believe in linear time and also neglect the memory function. See another person's perspective is just like your perspective last week, except you don't remember it.

This is allowed for by there not being any real linear time. Linear time is the only way the infinite can be experienced (if you overlayed a bunch of separate colors, none of those individual colors remain as they all intermingle).

When you say "There is NO NEED to rob them of their lives and perception as Leo has been teaching", what teachings of Leo are you talking about?

I understand & appreciate your reply!

Sorry just seen that conceptually talking about solipsism in isn't allowed in here so can be locked / deleted.

10 hours ago, Kksd74628 said:

@Brenzo2

WHAT? Where is this stated? 

Not really a solid rule but Leo mentioned it in another thread somewhere.