Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sudden "jolt" While Meditating

4 posts in this topic

Today, while I was doing my daily HoloSync session I experienced going deeper than usual.

Moment by moment, my sense of self would fade away more and more.

Then, suddenly, I experienced a shock, I could best describe as connecting high voltage directly to your brain. 

As you can imagine, that scared me quite a bit, my heart rate immediately went up which lasted for 1-2mins and then everything went back to normal.

This was actually my second "jolt" experience.

I had my first one about 6 months ago while I was meditating on relatively low dose of acid.

That time it was more intense (well... acid :) ) and literally scared the shit out of me. Happily, I managed to collect myself and didn't go into full bad trip mode ;) 

So... what do you guys make of this? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

8 minutes ago, 9 said:

Today, while I was doing my daily HoloSync session I experienced going deeper than usual.

Moment by moment, my sense of self would fade away more and more.

Then, suddenly, I experienced a shock, I could best describe as connecting high voltage directly to your brain. 

As you can imagine, that scared me quite a bit, my heart rate immediately went up which lasted for 1-2mins and then everything went back to normal.

This was actually my second "jolt" experience.

I had my first one about 6 months ago while I was meditating on relatively low dose of acid.

That time it was more intense (well... acid :) ) and literally scared the shit out of me. Happily, I managed to collect myself and didn't go into full bad trip mode ;) 

So... what do you guys make of this? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I have experienced electric impulses over the body, some minor impulses other more powerful. What you experienced in the head sounds like a "brain zap". They are fairly common on psychedelics, when going off certains meds or other times just caused by anxiety. I have had them sometimes on 4-aco-dmt, they can feel pretty unpleasant, but are nothing to worry about.

Yeah had a similar experience years ago on acid. Decided to playfully see if I could move energy through the body and it resulted in an experience similar to what you described. It happens. Not to worry. 

Any explanation why does this happen?

I'm not on any anti-depressant meds by the way.

Did some research on my own and found that the feeling I experienced may actually be Exploding Head Syndrome (EHS). 

Here's some post I came across on shroomery forums:

I was browsing the forum recently whilst searching the web for information on hypnagogic hallucinations and I found a number of threads from people complaining about 'brain zaps' and electric shock-like sensations in the brain. I thought I'd give you some info based on what I know. Hopefully this will help someone.

Firstly, when people are talking about 'brain zaps' here, they are often confusing it with the symptoms of hypnagogic hallucinations (specifically EHS), brain zaps are actually an SSRI withdrawal symptom and they are very different from hypnagogic hallucinations. Brain zaps are far more frequent and often the shock sensations go right down the shoulders into the arms and hands. They occur during certain movements and they usually go away within a week or so following a cessation of SSRI treatment. They can be avoided with a longer taper of the drug you were taking (reducing the dosage over a longer period as opposed to going 'cold turkey'). Brain zaps are more evident during the day as you move around and less noticeable at night.

Exploding Head Snydrome (EHS) is a rare type of hypnagogic hallucination that presents itself at the onset of sleep. It's a very sudden shock that presents itself with a loud noise (a bang/explosion) and can be accompanied by a flash. It's quite scary and can make people extremely anxious following the event and prior to sleeping but it's not known to have ever caused any harm and it certainly won't kill you.

Hypnagogic hallucinations normally occur due to a lack of sleep or an irregular sleeping pattern which causes a person to be fatigued throughout the day; a condition known as 'excessive daytime sleepiness'. Excessive daytime sleepiness and other types of narcolepsy can be treated with stimulants such as modafinil, however if you're suffering from a sleep disorder, the first step I would suggest would be to look at your sleeping schedule. You could try low doses (5-15mg) of amitriptyline an hour or so before you go to bed. Amiyriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant which suppresses REM sleep (i.e., you won't dream).

The part about irregular sleeping patterns possibly causing it definitely checks out with me. I wake up several times every single fucking night and very often feel sleepy during the day.

Wikipedia also has some good information about this strange thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome