Olly

Best Meditation Technique

11 posts in this topic

Could someone please recommend great meditation techniques that have helped them the most. I personally used the concentration technique on the breath but I don't think it works best for me. 

If anyone knows any others it would be greatly appreciated!

"Do nothing" combined with "strong determination sitting" does the job for me. However I wouldn't recommend strong determination to a beginner. So depending on how long you meditate check Leo's videos about them and then try 'em.

But keep in mind that there is no best meditation technique. There are just ones that work good for you or support you with a certain goal. For example if I'd want to just calm my mind to the extend where thoughts go completely I'd use a mantra meditation technique like in TM. This works perfect for this goal. However, if I want to explore reality and what is I go with doing nothing because I can get a pretty good sense of my self and my reality.

Also, I test and change techniques very few months and play around with combinations. However, doing nothing + strong determination is my standard.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

Do nothing has certainly been effective for this one.

A post was made about one's personal journey with it, it will be quoted here:

5 minutes ago, Zotikos said:

The way "I" benefited from this technique is as Leo eloquently put it in one of his videos (paraphrasing)

"Treat yourself like a scientist observing chimps, if a chimp gets up and hits another chimp over the head. The scientist doesn't interfere, just notes it down and observes it".

Doing nothing isn't about what your body or mind are doing, "you" are not the body, "you" are not the mind. It's about "your" relationship with occurrences in existence. If the eyes are open or closed "who" is deciding whether they are open or closed? "What" is the reason of the preference for one over the other? If one's mind is playing games thinking about complexities of life, "who" is thinking about these things? "Why" are these things arising? "Where" are these thoughts arising from? Going to?

In one's humble opinion there are three stages in this technique.

The first stage is recognizing yourself as an ego, and why the ego is acting certain ways. Ie if you are frustrated at something doing nothing will bring that to the surface and you will be forced to confront the why, the where, the what, and ultimately the ridiculousness of being frustrated at that moment over something "you" have no control over. This will assist one in removing negative thoughts from interfering with activities and eventually negative emotions will be removed entirely.

The second stage is when one firmly recognizes the ego, and then begins searching for the source of the ego. This can only occur when one no longer holds negative feelings in such high regard, if they are still in control you will never be able to see the ego as separate. Once the ego is sitting in it's proper place under essence then the harder questions begin:  Where does the personality arise from? Am I really the personality? Do I have control over these preferences which are happening? Who coded these preferences into me? A recognition begins to occur that the personality is entirely out of one's control and that one was conditioned and nothing more than action/reaction are happening. This counter-intuitively gives an illusory control over the personality as it is recognized as morphic and temporary, and one may begin living peacefully.

The third stage is simply being. The Ego is no longer even questionably real, there is no "I" in reality, and one may begin simply enjoying life completely peacefully having recognized ones own relationship with source. Existence is simply happening, one has nothing to do with the happening. All things are interesting and may seemingly be changed with little or no effort.

Sahguru hints at a stage beyond peace, beyond the opening of the Third Eye and recognizing ones nature. Thus there are likely many such stages beyond, but these guidelines will hopefully provide one with more insight.

Truly

No one.

Today I went outside and looked at a tree for two hours... such a beautiful meditation ! 

my tree.jpg

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

@Zotikos Have you tired this yourself? 

I feel like If I just sit there then I am being unproductive. I feel like I must focus on my awareness or something to exercise my brain. Or is this not necessary to become enlightened

@Oliver ,

Please sit with this for a moment: 

You are comfortably in your own bed, frantically trying to decipher a map that leads you back home :) 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

@Ayla Do you just sit there and not think about anything/observe thoughts/focus on breath? 

I sit and I look at what is. 

For example today, when looking at that tree, it was no longer a tree, no longer had a name, a height, a form....because the concepts associated with it were gone and I was just seeing the image of it.  

Let my previous affirmation inside yourself. Just let it be there and leave the "how's" and all question. Just let it in: 

You are comfortably in your own bed, frantically trying to decipher a map that leads you back home.

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

9 minutes ago, Ayla said:

You are comfortably in your own bed, frantically trying to decipher a map that leads you back home :) 

This feels for me to be one of the most accurate descriptions on how to meditate.  @Ayla, thanks for your wisdom. You just made my evening. :)

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

You are taking a conceptual position - which is an imagined position, trying to make an effort to reach something which is already what you are. This is all a dream, only you do not realize it just yet :) 

"The one you are looking for is the one who is looking" - Francis of Assisi 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

@Arik

Yes, we are trying so badly to complicate things where they are so so simple... :)

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com