Mu_

The Art of Telling Yourself to Shut UP <video>

5 posts in this topic

I feel like my take away is: enjoy everything now! Stop wanting and craving.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 1/10/2022 at 1:07 PM, Thought Art said:

I feel like my take away is: enjoy everything now! Stop wanting and craving.

Thats a good a take away as any, and I guess after listening to it again, it is the overall message, the real short and sweat of it.

.  Although I'd say some of the felt intention behind the video was to point out how ones inner blah blah blah experience doesn't have to be paid attention to or felt so significantly.  Not to say inner experience isnt great or relevant, but to show how one could let it go as well or make no importance of it, and in doing so free oneself from shit that seems important, but is actually just stressful or causing stress.  Like a new tool that one can use, once understood or shown its possible, or pointed to as possible.

I may make a follow up video going more into detail, but it seems like one can get wrapped in a myriad of notions around experience.  For example one may be like, "hey, this is my feelings, they deserve respect or consideration and are thus important and need to be met" either by others or by ones own expectation of how they should feel or how they believe they should feel or how they believe how feelings should be base upon some rule of whats good and whats bad.  Like for example a person may think if they feel unpleasant they are doing something wrong, or that their feeling unpleasant is some validation that they have it hard and go into some victim mindset or some slightly more positive societal mindset such as thats just life and its tough and rough, yet still on the downer side of things.

Spiritual people may sit in feelings under the belief that if they move away or push away or do something to change their feelings, that they are breaking some Buddhist or "sit in feelings and be awareness rule", and as a result the possibility of being able to break free in spectacular and instantaneous ways are rejected, dismissed or more realistically unimaginable, since "they've learned this new way of being to help themselves or inherited these new idea's of right and wrong in relation to "emotions" or "thoughts", which again are not absolute.

I think there’s value in that

i also think it’s important to fully feel instead of always ignoring how you feel or what you want.

I feel like the book call “The Tao of Fully feeling” explained this really well. I like how he mentions to embrace ambivalence and to look for the wisdom or beauty in all our emotions, or cognitive thought patterns. 

hmmm…

1. Fully feeling is not the same thing as neediness from others though. But it, can include a level of honesty about how you are feeling and what you think your needs and wants are.

2. Fully feeling includes simply allowing the feelings but without identifying with them or thinking they are good or bad. However you feel in this moment is how you should feel to think otherwise may be insanity of some kind. 

3. I think it’s important to mention that enlightenment does not mean we only feel good feelings. Our psychology is complex and I think enlightenment can make us more compassionate to ourselves and our suffering and allow us to embrace our feelings with more curiosity. Feeling unpleasant and fully feeling it… and not needing it to change or judging it may be very important to transcend it or etc

4. I also agree with you that there are times when not feeling or thinking too much are valuable for our growth. I think it may be a balance. For example, there are times when I notice myself fighting myself, ruminating on fears of past error or future projection… I’m learning just to ignore that ‘bla bla bla’ as it’s just mental distortion. If I fight it it only grows. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"