Time Traveler

How Much We Can Trust Direct Experience ?

4 posts in this topic

Leo advised us that we should use our direct experience to gain some truth about reality, our true nature, etc.

But I don't trust my  direct experience very much. Without supporting contextual knowledge it doesn't tell me much about reality.

For example, if I'm driving at night lonely road in deep woods,  I see that lights appear out of nothing and disappears into nothing. Of course I know  that that's not the case and  direct experience gives me very skewed picture of reality.

When I'm doing an inquiry "who am I ?" and trying to look into "me" I see feelings, thoughts, sounds etc coming out of nothing and disappearing into nothing. What can I do with that ?

20 minutes ago, Time Traveler said:

if I'm driving at night lonely road in deep woods,  I see that lights appear out of nothing and disappears into nothing. Of course I know  that that's not the case

Except it IS the case.

You've just made a habit of not accepting reality as it is, because it doesn't serve you, and now this habit is very difficult to drop.

That's the crux of this matter: stop serving you.

Truth is antithetical to self-agenda. Which is why so few pursue it.

The best way to hide the Truth is in plain sight. Just make it useless and no one will see it.

"All men know the use of the useful, but nobody knows the use of the useless!"    -- Chuang Tzu

It's not necessary to "trust" direct experience. It's only necessary to observe it and realize that there is nothing else!

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Time Traveler said:

When I'm doing an inquiry "who am I ?" and trying to look into "me" I see feelings, thoughts, sounds etc coming out of nothing and disappearing into nothing. What can I do with that ?

there's nothing to do about it. you've seen that what you call "me" is just a composition of things, a changing bag of sensations and concepts without a substantial center.

and since there's no ego (center of me) to experience those feelings, thoughts, sounds etc, it goes even deeper if you ask yourself "who" or "what" is experiencing them.

who's reading this phrase?

unborn Truth

OK

Sometimes, when I get up early and have starred at my computer screen late previous night, I see distant objects doubling. So I drive my car early in the morning and I see two cars approaching in parallel  on the highway. When I close one eye, I see only one car approaching.

So, how much cars  are there ? 

Two, one or both ?

Edited by Time Traveler