Vynce

What is interest?

3 posts in this topic

We all have topics, science fields, books, movies, YouTube videos, people, animals, music genres, clothing styles, sex practices and thoughts, which are more interesting than others. Some are so interesting that we devote our entire life to explore these rabbit holes. And than there are topics, which are so boring, that it feels like pain just to think about them more than necessary. 

What causes this distinction? Is it just the ego trying to use reality as a tool for it's survival? In which case the ego calls these tools "interesting".

Than why do insects look interesting if they hop on our hand? My ego doesn't get anything from insects on my hand. 

Is interest just another form of love? Than why can we be interested in stuff we hate? 

This feels worth contemplating for me. But I'm sure people on this forum ponder about this a lot. Insights are welcome. 

@Vynce This question is interesting...

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

When I feel interested/fascinated by something and ask myself why, the reason is never clear. I might think "well it's just a personal preference, a bias."

Most of the time I don't really know. Why am I interested in spirituality and metaphysics more than sales? I don't know. Well I could give you answers about how I feel about each of those, but then I could ask why again, and again.

I feel like not knowing why or not having a specific reason to be interested in something shows how genuine the interest is.

Anyways :)