Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spook17

What exactly means to seize an opportunity?

5 posts in this topic

I am looking for a job since last week, It will be my first job besides an internship and the market is kinda harsh on newcomers. So I was expecting to apply to Junior positions for three weeks more or less, without any hurries, and just keep learning for myself. The thing is that a company called me today for an intern position, offering me half of the salary that I was expecting for a Junior one. Right now, I am struggling between seizing the opportunity or having the patience to see the results of the effort that I am making to have a higher value-paid JobI mean, I could survive without the money for more than a month, and is not like this job offered is too tempting to not take it, it's just normal for my learning path/requirements. 

Seeing this situation, I would like to read your perspectives. How do you see the difference between taking opportunities and being patient to see the results of your efforts? Is there any point that I have to evaluate before making a decision about it?

Extra data: The position they are offering me will give me more practice with software that I want to use, but I could have the same learning and more at home. It's not too related to my professional goal but is in the path of it.

In one video, Leo talks about asking for a raise while working at a video game company. The manager basically laughed in his face and said not only does he not deserve a raise, he probably wasn't worth what they were already paying him.

That's largely how I feel about new hires straight out of university or after 1 internship. University doesn't make you a subject matter expert, it's basically just proof to companies that you can complete homework on time and retain basic knowledge. It's ground zero to start from. Most graduates require weeks of hands-on training that takes existing employees away from their normal tasks. They are a liability to the company.

So my advice would be to take the intern position and keep looking for better-paying positions. Having another internship on your resume could only help, and you'll get a bit of money in the process

BUT

I have no doubt this company is screwing you over. I'd bet they are hiring you as an intern but realistically you're going to do the exact same work that a junior position would be doing in a couple months. Usually that's just how the corrupt system works though and you can either take it or leave it.

With talk about most companies being short-staffed right now, I'd be tempted to call their bluff and say no, you'll only take the better-paying junior position, not an internship. Especially if it's not life-or-death and you can walk away to look for another job for now. It's risky but for 2x the pay it might be worth it. But if you want to take it 100% safe then take the internship.

At the very least, ask them to explicitly list out the different roles and requirements expected of an intern vs a junior position. If they can justify paying half as much, then fine. But most likely they are gonna be the same. 

If they offer way less work and responsibility for an intern then take it, but have it in your contract in writing for when they start trying to pile other tasks on you, to either push back or demand more money. And don't allow a catch-all "and other duties as required" that lets them add whatever they want.

Edited by Yarco

@Spook17 Its a paradox. They came up.

Follow your intuition.

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

You can only seize opportunity through preparation.

The universe tends to reveal opportunity when you have done adequate training and mental prep to take advantage of it.

If your mind isn't focused, then you will miss certain opportunities that are in plain sight.

23 hours ago, Yarco said:

Having another internship on your resume could only help,

Yes, that is what I was thinking about. Thank you, I'll check the contract first to also check the withdrawal requirements, meanwhile keeping my job searching. 

9 hours ago, Ulax said:

Its a paradox.

ohno

6 hours ago, Terell Kirby said:

If your mind isn't focused, then you will miss certain opportunities that are in plain sight.

Good Quote, let me take it and put it on my whiteboard bro, thank you