Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Psychonaut

The Root Issue

6 posts in this topic

So from my current understanding the ego is the crux. The ego is part of the self. The self is much more expansive than the ego. The ego can be nurtured and trained to be more effective and reduce the bullshit to some extend (AtheneScams for example). This can be done with knowledge, books, life experiences etc.

But the core issue is identification with the ego. Meaning that you believe you are the ego and that is what you are. The issue with that is that the ego is just a fraction of the self. Whatever people do is to get closer to the self or get a glimpse of the self. They don't know it, but that is the underlying motivation. The self can be glimpsed by reducing the ego through the use of drugs, altered states of consciousness (meditation), opening the mind up with books radically different to your world view or strong external changes etc. The ego will resist this with all its might and force.

Our society is build around preservation. It is build around preservation of the ego and the core belief that the ego is worthwhile saving. It is not. Mediocrity, entertainment, news etc all to keep the mind busy and unwilling to address the root issue. Identification with ego. It is not identification with thought that is the problem it is the patterns of the ego that is the problem.

The mind is a tool, it can be highly effective. But like any tool it has to be maintained and used by a responsible person. The ego is not responsible. To fix the core issue identification has to be shifted to the self. The big issue is that this is the same as killing yourself. The ego has to completely and ultimately surrender and accept that it is nothing that is part of everything.

I don't know how to do this in a loving way other than to decimate the ego by reminding it that death is lurking around the corner or obliterating it with insane amounts of entheogens. And I am not sure if this is the right way for everyone tbh. It works, it is worth it, it is permanent and I would never trade it for anything in this world. But it is like turning a knife against yourself and continously stabbing yourself until you die.

Edited by Psychonaut
pls someone move this to meditation and consciousness

i think this post should have went to the enlightenment thread.

Great advise though.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Nice, but it seems that you're overthinking and overvaluing the "killing the ego" part, might just be part of the illusion.

I advice you being more aware and less serious.

The ego is part of the mind.  You are not your mind.  You, when aware, are behind and observing the mind as it does it choral babble.  Why kill part of your mind?  Just take the wheel, tell ego to get in the back seat, and drive the car.  When you need the ego, because you didn't kill it or leave it by the side of the road, it will be there to do the things that ego is great at doing.  Another tool in your belt, or in the backseat to continue the metaphor. 

On 12/31/2016 at 3:06 AM, Psychonaut said:

I don't know how to do this in a loving way other than to decimate the ego by reminding it that death is lurking around the corner or obliterating it with insane amounts of entheogens. And I am not sure if this is the right way for everyone tbh. It works, it is worth it, it is permanent and I would never trade it for anything in this world. But it is like turning a knife against yourself and continously stabbing yourself until you die.

Notice, all of this is just more ego.

THERE IS NO YOU!

And there's certainly no you to kill you. This is just silly.

So stop pretending like you exist to be destroyed.

There is nothing to destroy and no one to fight.

So if you're gonna pursue enlightenment, do it with a calm manner, without the drama. It will be a lot easier and quicker. The drama is what enlightenment is supposed you relieve you of. So why not start right there, rather than kicking and screaming the whole way?

Sit and enjoy your self-inquiry. It's not like you're being asking to go mine coal for 8 hours a day. All you're being asked to do is sit and look.

This isn't some sort of epic Hollywood struggle. Finishing high school was harder than getting enlightened. So keep things in perspective, and stay calm and carry on.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

This isn't some sort of epic Hollywood struggle. Finishing high school was harder than getting enlightened. So keep things in perspective, and stay calm and carry on.

It is easier than finishing high school. It's just that nobody here wants enligthenment strongly enough to get enlightened. What a shame. :)