Preety_India

Meena Kumari - Vintage Bollywood Celebrities

16 posts in this topic

I really tempted to write about vintage Bollywood. Something about it that is so attractive in a dreamy way. A bygone Era that will never come back. 

Trying to bring it back.....

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I was going to write about this. 

I liked this interview but I found certain parts of it weird to be honest. 

I'm digging into old Bollywood for some form of inspiration. 

New Bollywood is slowly evaporating our cultural roots and its mostly lacking in artistic beauty. I do enjoy new movies though I don't like the intense violent scenes that have become the norm in new Bollywood plus the copying of Hollywood is bit of a cringe. 

New Bollywood also copies scripts from South Indian movies, I find that very boring. I have never had any liking for South Indian movies because first of all I don't understand their language, and whenever I accidentally turn the TV on and come across some south Indian movie being played, all I see is some random ridiculous fight scene with people jumping high in air against gravity. I can't make out their dialogues because there is no Hindi translation and there is no way for me to know what's exactly happening in the movie. So it's usually a cringe experience and I immediately switch the channel. 

New Hindi movies try to copy south stuff which is kinda annoying to me.. 

I liked this interview but I found certain parts of it weird to be honest. 

I'm digging into old Bollywood for some form of inspiration. 

New Bollywood is slowly evaporating our cultural roots and its mostly lacking in artistic beauty. I do enjoy new movies though I don't like the intense violent scenes that have become the norm in new Bollywood plus the copying of Hollywood is bit of a cringe. 

New Bollywood also copies scripts from South Indian movies, I find that very boring. I have never had any liking for South Indian movies because first of all I don't understand their language, and whenever I accidentally turn the TV on and come across some south Indian movie being played, all I see is some random ridiculous fight scene with people jumping high in air against gravity. I can't make out their dialogues because there is no Hindi translation and there is no way for me to know what's exactly happening in the movie. So it's usually a cringe experience and I immediately switch the channel. 

New Hindi movies try to copy south stuff which is kinda annoying to me.. 

Also New Bollywood is getting increasingly Hinduphobic. Most movies have an anti Hindu feel. And I'm not going to subscribe to that. 

Sam Sharma talks about this and he is not the only one. 

More videos on Hinduphobic Bollywood. 

Edited by Preety_India

LOL this one. 

Someone said this not long ago. 

SRI AMITABH BACHCHAN IS TOO IMPORTANT FOR HINDUISM. THE LITTLE BIT OF RESPECT LEFT FOR HINDUISM IN BOLLYWOOD IS BECAUSE OF SRI AMITABH BACHCHAN JI AND TEAM. SO,  I SINCERELY OFFER MY PRAYERS TO PARAMASHIVA FOR THE SPEEDY RECOVERY OF SRI AMITABH BACHCHAN JI AND SRI ABHISHEK BACHCHAN JI.

Yea the interview with Amitabh Bachchan has been an eye opener. 

He really preserves old Hindu tradition in his everyday living which is a rarity these days. 

Even my mom never really raised me as a Hindu. 

But I want to dig my ancient roots and not lose touch with it.. 

Link to the interview. 

https://youtu.be/JouL9ZeHzsw

Edited by Preety_India

15 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Mauveideas will be about vintage bollywood. 

And the inspiration I derive from Hindu tradition. 

Yesterday I was thinking about popular Indian celebrities Asha Bhosale, Rekha, Amitabh Bachchan, Sharmila Tagore etc. 

Meena Kumari of course. 

I exactly don't know how to describe mauveideas. 

It's like a combination of old and new. 

Because I really don't know where I'm stuck with respect to ancient/vintage tradition versus modern culture. 

I see modern culture as a source of sophistication yet whenever I hear whatever my mom says, I do see some truth to it and I feel like I can still resonate with old people from the 60s. It gets confusing. 

Because on one hand I really feel independent, modern and sophisticated. 

On the other, I feel like I don't want to lose touch with ancient Indian roots. 

It becomes like a struggle. 

How to incorporate old traditions and perceptions into a modern lifestyle. 

Recently I started doing Tulsi Pooja which is an old Indian traditional ritual that many Hindus do. I never looked at it with great importance growing up. My mom never did it. I mean she was kinda modern right from the get go. 

So one day I told her — "you never taught me how to do tulsi Pooja. Nevermind I'll learn it from the neighborhood old ladies." 

So i bought the plant, placed it in my garden and began doing tulsi Pooja. I felt a sort of relief, like a connection with old Indian roots. 

You reach a conundrum where you can relate to whatever your parents say yet your friends tell you it's all outdated. 

You're floating around new stuff yet you still relate to old stuff. 

How do you navigate around old and new together? 

At the same time I have outdated ideas around Sexuality like I don't like casual sex. 

Many of my friends in the age group of 24 - 27 don't like it either. I can see why. I think just like them. 

I mean we call ourselves modern generation yet we aren't still on board with the ideas of casual sex and other such things. We still believe in the concept of marriage. 

So when I was browsing through pictures of Sharmila Tagore and I came across a bikini pic. And I was like omg. How was a bikini accepted back then in the 80s? And it wasn't. She had to remove those pictures. 

And I was thinking to myself — what's the big deal in wearing a bikini? Why did people back then make such a big deal out of it? Of course now bikini is so common and I'm glad that I can wear whatever I want. 

I mean if your main criticism of an actress is that she appeared nude or in a bikini, sorry but that's a lazy excuse really and a lame critique. I mean there is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a bikini or any form of nudity really. 

I don't see a problem. 

I had this kind of archetype in mind when I was observing Sharmila Tagore. 

Like she seemed pretty liberal to me 

Someone who is not exactly tethered to old tradition yet they are reasonably conservative enough to not throw out  the baby with the bathwater. 

I mean she represented someone with open mindedness, something like support for LGBTQ, inter-racial marriages, Openness of opinion, leading your small life in a little way without being grand, doing little things yet having enough maturity, being positive in small ways, being superficial, shallow, slightly vain but not in a bad rude unempathetic kind of way, being shallow yet having an element of beauty and sophistication and easy-Ness to it that makes it positive, easy  relaxing and calm. A certain vibe, an "easy" playful creative superficial candy vibe, yet not shallow to the point of narcissism and fakery. 

In a way it's a refreshing getaway from being serious, deep and emotional all the time.. 

I always see this vibe in her which is also visible in this interview. 

Edited by Preety_India

I really really love Asha Parekh's interview. 

She is absolutely graceful and elegant. Something I never see with today's actors and actresses. 

I will never understand why older generation of people were so innocent and elegant and cute and respectful whereas these days people in the industry are so disrespectful, rogue and negative. 

She looks a tiny bit like my mom hehe.( Without big eyes.) My mom has tiny eyes. 

Edited by Preety_India

I love love love this. She is so cute back then

Actually vintage Indian actresses look far more beautiful and elegant as compared to Indian actresses these days. 

3 hours ago, Preety_India said:

You're floating around new stuff yet you still relate to old stuff. 

How do you navigate around old and new together? 

At the same time I have outdated ideas around Sexuality like I don't like casual sex. 

Is it outdated?

I feel very much the same around sexuality and I grew up without any “traditional” influences.

3 hours ago, Preety_India said:

I mean we call ourselves modern generation yet we aren't still on board with the ideas of casual sex and other such things. We still believe in the concept of marriage. 

I am on board with those concepts as well.

Maybe those ideas have some value. Progress doesn’t necessarily mean that you literally build everything from the ground up I feel.

4 hours ago, Preety_India said:

So when I was browsing through pictures of Sharmila Tagore and I came across a bikini pic. And I was like omg. How was a bikini accepted back then in the 80s? And it wasn't. She had to remove those pictures. 

I don’t get this either. I guess it conflicts / conflicted with some dogma that women should be covered or whatever.

This just reminded of something I read once. That in the early 20th Century in Germany, women had to cover their knees ( or I think even ankles possibly ) and seeing them exposed in public was considered obscene and like a public upset.

So yeah. The world at large seems to have a problem with women “exposing” or “showing off “ their bodies. Which is so ridiculous I can’t even put it in words. Probably just some dumb power play and or control tactic.

I love you infinitely. I will find you forever in every life time because you and me are one. You and me eternally breathing life and bluming