Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MHarris

Suck At Cooking. Should I Go For This Intensive Cooking Class?

6 posts in this topic

So I suck at cooking. 

When I mean suck, I mean I can't cook at all. I can microwave stuff and just toss stuff in to the oven, but cannot cook anything. 

Im a university student, and study a pretty difficult course, so most of my time goes towards studying. So I have limited time for other stuff, as well as preparing my food. 

I was thinking that maybe I should enrol on a cooking course for the new year. Just before I get back to university. I think that would make sense. It's a 5 day course, for beginners, and I learn an insane amount of stuff in that time. And I reckon I'll be pretty much set for life with cooking after taking this course. 

The problem is this: it's $800. 

I have the money. And think it will be going to good use. But I can't help but think of all the other things I can buy with that money. I'd be able to travel with it. Buy more books with it. And more. 

Conclusion: I think it's a good course for me. I know I'll learn a lot and have great confidence to actually cook something. I'll have skills to last me forever. But the price is damn high. 

Should I do it?

Hiya :)

What do you want to be able to cook?  Thrifty student dishes?  Family foods? Cordon Bleu standard?  What is your aim?

Cooking is just practice, you must be able to feed yourself...cave man stuff :)  Have you actually tried following a simple recipe....it is not so hard.

I love cooking but I wouldn't pay that much... for a basic course.  If you want, I can give you very easy practical recipes. 

You could practice before you go back...you only need say 8 recipes, that can be changed around....impress the Ladies as well of course....I imagine that would not have occurred to you :D

@MHarris Well I dont know if you should take the cookery course, but I do think this is the sort of information Leo needs to be handing out rather than telling people how to become enlightened.

I'd like to learn how to cook an omelette, and would rather watch Leo demonstrating that than listen to another video on the perennial philosophy and how I need to study 45 million books on religion just to find out that none of them agree with each other, even the non dual aspects of them.

I would start to learn online. There is an abundance of resources and education online. You can learn from some of the most skilled people in the world at your own pace, without having to spend $800. 

Set goals to learn some fundamentals. Like the basics of chicken, pan frying, baking etc. Make eggs every day or every other day until you get those down. Make some salads. Make some new interesting sandwiches.

Mac and cheese is fairly easy. Etc. Make stuff you like, you'll follow instructions, make mistakes and learn.

Then after you've gotten into it for yourself, you'll know for sure if you want to do this $800 course. You'll also likely get a lot more out of it by not going in completely green. 

I love cooking and btw I am a highschool student, and I've learnt all my cooking through YouTube. There are a thousand YouTube channel offering you to tell you everything from how to make the best ratatouille to how to crack open an egg so you don't really have to worry. And also, you have a hundred YouTube channel offering you to tell you how to do the exact same thing in 50 different styles. So yea..