Lorcan

How To Cherish Ones Grandparents?

4 posts in this topic

Recently, Ive been thinking about my grandparents about how to make them more happy before they die. (I'd say they have 5 to 10 years left, I could be wrong)

Anyhow , I find that I may seem unappreciative to them.

When they visit, I say hello I give them a hug and them stay in there presence for a couple of minutes before then going off to playing videogames or whatever and then when they are going to leave, I say goodbye give them a hug and they leave.

When they I ever get us anything I say thank you. But it doeant feel like its enough. Or when they have given me money and I say thank you to them over the telephone it doesnt feel "sufficient"

What should I do? Send them a christmas card? (Ive never done such a thing before to them)

Ask them questions about there lives?

How do I appreciate them more without it being awkard and unaithentic?

58 minutes ago, Lorcan said:

Recently, Ive been thinking about my grandparents about how to make them more happy before they die. (I'd say they have 5 to 10 years left, I could be wrong)

Anyhow , I find that I may seem unappreciative to them.

When they visit, I say hello I give them a hug and them stay in there presence for a couple of minutes before then going off to playing videogames or whatever and then when they are going to leave, I say goodbye give them a hug and they leave.

When they I ever get us anything I say thank you. But it doeant feel like its enough. Or when they have given me money and I say thank you to them over the telephone it doesnt feel "sufficient"

What should I do? Send them a christmas card? (Ive never done such a thing before to them)

Ask them questions about there lives?

How do I appreciate them more without it being awkard and unaithentic?

This is a beautiful thought in my opinion, grandparents in my experience are at the age in life where their memories and experiences are the most important thing to them.  I would try to get to know them better as people, take an interest in the advice they have to offer you (it will be amazing advice if you can just get your ego out of the way!).

Try to discipline your desire to play computer games, if you observe it and have a word with yourself and ask yourself if you REALLY need to play computer games which will make you miss another opportunity to spend time with your grandparents, is it really that important to play the games?

What seems important to you now is your relationship with your grandparents, which is a sign of maturity and compassion in you :) If this is important to you, then make a sacrifice.  Nothing is gained in life without a sacrifice, if you want to do this then you can.  

If you can get over that little hurdle first you will be surprised at how easily you will relax into just being with them naturally without forcing it or having to think of something to say or do.  Once you get there, then you will naturally want to do things for them.  Make them tea, bring them cakes, help out around the house with the chores.  

You also wont believe how happy you will feel because youre living on "purpose" and doing what you feel is right in your heart, instead of being "lived"by your lesser desires.

Great advice @kurt and so very right!

@Lorcan  Your Grandparents have seen so much, think of the history they have personally experienced!  They will actually want to know you better as well, no doubt about this.  They will not worry at all about your awkwardness, so don't concern yourself about that. Their love is unconditional! 

Ask your Mum or Dad about your grandparents life.....Is there anything that could trigger questions you might want to ask?  Do they need help in their garden?  Next time they come round...just stay put, don't wander off...and just listen.  It might be awkward at 1st, but you will get used to them.

Proud of you!!

So christmas day has passed and I talked a slightly less then a moderate amount to my grandparents.

I dont think I really started a discussion, they just would maybe ask me a question from time to time and I would answer them, or I would over here a  converstion they were having with one of my parents and give my two cents on the matter being discussed.

For example my grandmother asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I said that I wanted to be revolutionary and we had some discussion on that lasted 5 minutes.

Whilst playing video games, my grandfarther would wonder in from time to time,  and he would always make a comment on what was going on the screen.

Like I was playing Fallout 4  yesterday and I was standing in front of a broken wooden fence. He came into the room, saw what was on the screen and commented something of the like "That fence appears it needs some fixing"

I was playing Battlefield 1 today and he walked him and he was looking at the screen , I told him it was a world war 1 game and so on so forth.

and I showed him me wounding a good couple of people with a mortar, in which he commented on something about that mortar being good or something and then he left. the room.

A few other moments like this have occured throughout my grandparents visit to my house.

What does this mean?