Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lyubov

Literature for men suggestions

3 posts in this topic

I'm looking for literature that can really help a man grow, inspire, learn about women, dating, relationships, love, building discipline, fostering creativity and creative problem solving, leadership, energy, masculinity, giving, perseverance, etc. I know one can really learn a lot through fiction and this is often something not recognized enough.

Literature / stories about men going out to seek treasure, overcoming hardships, growing and discovering love, etc.

I'm sort of tired of self help books. Literature men will benefit from reading. 

To start the list

- The Complete Memoirs of Casanova "The Story of My Life" by Giacomo Casanova

Please add to the list if you have any fiction books /literature recommendations.  

Sounds like you're looking for literary works with portrayals of healthy masculinity?

Some examples that come to mind :

Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller - A contemporary humanization of the hero of Greek legend told from the point of view of Achille's friend / lover Patrocalus. It's a story about love, friendship, vulnerability, the costs of violence, and expectations that society places on men.

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien - What's interesting about LOTR is that it manages to have a few different portrayals of healthy masculinity. Aragorn is in many ways a traditional masculine hero but at the same time he shows emotions such as vulnerability, and uses his strength to protect others. Sam and Frodo's relationship is one of the most authentic portrayals of the depth of friendship I've seen portrayed in a work of fiction.

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guinn- The male protagonist struggles with his restrictive preconceptions of gender while stationed on a desolate planet where the categories of male and female are far more fluid than on our world. A story about the bonds of friendship and the struggle for survival in a harsh and brutal environment.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/