Romanski

Not sure what to commit to

7 posts in this topic

Hi!

I wanted to ask here for some advice on life purpose. I'll try to keep it short and sweet but will need some detail and length to explain my challenge.

I've got to say first that I have taken the LPC from Leo and I love the concepts, content and teachings a lot! (as the YT content too)

Short story about my challenge with life purpose:

Back when I was 9 years old I got hooked / inspired on the idea to become a military aviator when I soaked in the impressions of military flight at a very big airshow.

Since then I always wanted to become a fighter pilot and almost set my whole life up this way (I watched out that my ears and eyes won't ever get damaged for instance).

In the Austrian military one has two chances (ever) to take the assessments to be accepted as a aviator student.

Long story short, I got kicked back into reality on the first assessment that my math and other skills where not sufficient for their standards so I trained and learnd exceptional hard (harder than like ever in school or any other endeavour)  for my second try at the assessment. At my second attempt my results where exceptional good (cuz you can learn and get good at pretty much anything but not everything right), my health check was also perfect but one of the psychologist decided (for whatever reason) that I would not be taken to the program.

Then after an early midlife crisis I startet to do a lot more motorcycling (pretty much as compensation for military flight) and worked for two whole years on a YouTube channel with moto content with some "success" until I had a quite hevy accident with a LOT of luck so I only broke my leg for my lucky ass. (I'm a pretty skilled rider though because I went quite a way on the mastery process there). Now it's the second time where I will "need" to give up my passion (of riding) because I can see that it isn't a good choice for me in the long run (pretty painful to give up actualy).

But still, I do have other interests or one could call it passions like video / film production and everything that goes with it.

Now my question for you

Always when the question comes up in the LPC about what I love to do and I actually want to do it's lerking in the back of my mind that I would really love to fly military. I's hard for me to imagine i.e. to put 10 years / 10.000hrs into film making and enjoing it because I feel like there is the flight thing which I would want to do even more.

Theoreticaly it is even possible to fly in another airforce like sweden or the swiss let's say (as I am an Austrian citizen) but practically it's not far from impossible.

I also find it hard to find a meaningful impact for me. I can see through a lot of bs which is just selfish in the end and I know that something is missing without the contribution component. 

The real question for me is: should I really give this up completely in my mind or go for it 100%? Everything in between leads to nowhere obviously.

Or should I go for another option which I am not so passionate about and learn to get passionate about it?

I don't expect a finite or absolute answer to my problem but maybe someone can help me out a bit, struggling a lot with this.

I'm 22 now and I want to start standing on my own feet soon (I'm currently living with my parents)

Thanks a lot so far!!

My values list

[[1. Freedom & Independence
[[2. Passion & Enthusiasm
[[3. Excellence
[[4. Self Expression
[[5. Health & Energy
[[6. Self Control & Personal Growth
[[7. Learning
[[8. Sexuality & Relationships
[[9. Adventure
[[10. Humor & Fun

Edited by Romanski

You’re young, dude. There is plenty time to keep expanding your sights and be inspired by other stuff.

i don’t recommend anything military, as that would not be a benevolent contribution.

You need to be creative. Don’t look for obvious things that other people are already doing. That will always be limiting. 

you need to find and do more of your authentic self, with wider scope.

seek new experiences and keep on returning to the questions

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

You would probably benefit from a bit more maturity as well.

It is hard to find a good life purpose when you think primarily about what you want.

you will want to be thinking about what you want to GIVE to others.

It’s the difference between being a guy who uses a woman to get him off, and a guy who derives his pleasure from getting the woman off, and from giving his best gift, himself, to her.

Edited by Bob Seeker

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

16 hours ago, Romanski said:

The real question for me is: should I really give this up completely in my mind or go for it 100%? Everything in between leads to nowhere obviously.

Or should I go for another option which I am not so passionate about and learn to get passionate about it?

Go for it 100%.

The reason you're stuck right now, is because the thing you are passionate about is not 100% out of the question yet. If it was 100% impossible, I bet you could accept it and find something else. But:

16 hours ago, Romanski said:

Theoreticaly it is even possible to fly in another airforce like sweden or the swiss let's say (as I am an Austrian citizen) but practically it's not far from impossible.

Then go for that, I'd say.

A passion is not the same thing as a life purpose, but following it can help you turn it into one, or find your next passion, et cetera.

Seeing how hard you went for this goal at such a young age, it's very possible that you actually make it. And if you don't, new opportunities will open up and present themselves, and you'll have the self respect that comes with knowing that you have a track record of really going for things.

In my case: I would always feel better about myself having tried and failed, then never having tried. The question is whether that's true for you.

Just: keep listening to your intuition, and be open to pivot and do something else, when what you're doing no longer feels authentic. Maybe you'll want to do something completely different after even one year. Maybe you'll learn a lot about yourself, and it will change your direction. That is hard, but it's better than getting stuck doing what is no longer authentic.

Don't let people tell you that it's selfish to follow your passion, or that there isn't enough 'giving to the world' in it. When you're young, it's natural to be focused on doing what you want to do. Actually doing it can be enough of a gift in and of itself: after all, it's inspiring to the people around you, to see you really go for something. If later on, deeper gifts announce themselves to be given by you, just be open to receive that intuition, and be willing to pivot. It makes no sense to inauthentically do something because other people tell you it's good.

My 2 cents. Take at your own risk. Flying is dangerous 9_9

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

Commit to clarity.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

First of all, thanks for your time and replies!

10 hours ago, Bob Seeker said:

You’re young, dude. There is plenty time to keep expanding your sights and be inspired by other stuff.

i don’t recommend anything military, as that would not be a benevolent contribution.

Right. This might sound stupid at first but I'm not interested in contribution to harm and slaughter actually, this is why I am also greatful to live in a "neutral" country which isn't involved in serious military conflicts. (and there are other countries too) but I get your point!

Plenty of time? Yes and no

I'm pretty much fortuned to live with parents who accept a lot in therms of what I do and can still live with them but I want to stand on my own feet (make my own money) as soon as I can but instead of simply going for a 9-5 job I'm taking my time for self exploration and what I am really passionate about and love to do. I think it's a much wiser investment for the long run as I couldn't really do that working full time.

11 hours ago, Bob Seeker said:

It is hard to find a good life purpose when you think primarily about what you want.

It’s the difference between being a guy who uses a woman to get him off, and a guy who derives his pleasure from getting the woman off, and from giving his best gift, himself, to her.

Right, that was my concern right from the get go!

For me it's also not just doing what I love for it's own sake,

Maybe you can get me if you just think about flight and less about military in what I've written first. It fascinates me for a whole list of things but the contribution factor in this domain would be to serve (with your mastery in flight) to keep a country's airspace save and therefore the people, right?

@flowboy Thanks a lot, that was quite inspiring. 

It's funny because with most people I can't talk seriously about this. They seem to have such weak attitudes in life and even tell me to not think too much as what I want to do with my life (where I start to not respect their opinion all too much tbh.) Sure, action is necessary that's also why I'm here, I am stuck. But knowing where you want to go is even more important then just going I'd say. (ballance is key though)

1 hour ago, Thought Art said:

Commit to clarity.

That's what I'm trying to do here :)

4 hours ago, flowboy said:

The reason you're stuck right now, is because the thing you are passionate about is not 100% out of the question yet. If it was 100% impossible, I bet you could accept it and find something else. But:

Then go for that, I'd say.

That's why it is always in the back of my mind.

I'll give it a shot and see where I can take this over the winter (It seems like I just need somebody to tell me that this would be right to do, seems stupid)

5 hours ago, flowboy said:

A passion is not the same thing as a life purpose, but following it can help you turn it into one, or find your next passion, et cetera.

Right, I know about that!

But in the end except of the impact I want to have on the world (at least I personally) want to be very passionate about my work to:

1. Enjoy and love to do it (it won't be always this way I know about that ^^)

2. Have the drive to develop mastery in the field and make a living of that

In my case: I would always feel better about myself having tried and failed, then never having tried. The question is whether that's true for you.

Definitely same for me. (that's probably why I didn't give it up completely yet).

Just: keep listening to your intuition, and be open to pivot and do something else, when what you're doing no longer feels authentic. Maybe you'll want to do something completely different after even one year. Maybe you'll learn a lot about yourself, and it will change your direction. That is hard, but it's better than getting stuck doing what is no longer authentic.

Feel ya! And this is true for me too so I'm not all too afraid of chainging my direction or, as you said, completely pivot.

I've actually looked over 2 years now for a good thing to switch towards. It's also now two years that I work with the LPC from Leo but I always caught myself with goosebumbs when I see a video of my passion or hear the damn thing.

Don't let people tell you that it's selfish to follow your passion, or that there isn't enough 'giving to the world' in it. When you're young, it's natural to be focused on doing what you want to do. Actually doing it can be enough of a gift in and of itself: after all, it's inspiring to the people around you, to see you really go for something. If later on, deeper gifts announce themselves to be given by you, just be open to receive that intuition, and be willing to pivot. It makes no sense to inauthentically do something because other people tell you it's good.

Good one actually expressed, what I felt about it. 

But for all others who might read about it, I would judge myself as stage orange / green and I feel like I want to burn completely through orange to be able to transend it or built well on top of it. Which means for me making good money but also pursuing other rather

shallow values / things for some time.

With that in mind I think it's not all to big of a problem.

My 2 cents. Take at your own risk. Flying is dangerous 9_9

That's another thing I love about it, I've learned a lot in my good 10 years of wanting to become a military pilot. It's almost scary how precise they go about the safety and this connects also too well with want for excellence.

Thanks a lot for your advice.