Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joscha

Pursuing Happiness Directly?

2 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

a few weeks ago I had a discussion with some friends and I voiced my opinion how I believe it is possible to find permanent happiness and peace and how it is smart to aim for that in life. I mean happiness that is independent and free from anything external. 

I formed this opinion on the basis of following information/experiences:

- Rpert Spira's teachings on how our pursuit of finite forms of happiness (relationships, objects, substances, etc.) is futile and that our true nature is pure happiness already, we just need to recognise it

- Byron Katie's teachings of how all suffering comes from believing false thoughts, that no one and no thing can hurt us, that we do it all ourselves, etc.

- my own experiences from doing their practices (the work and self inquiry) both regularly and on my solo retreat. The internal happiness was very unwavering at times, although I go back to baseline in everyday life mostly

My friends had the very strong opinion that happiness is just like any other emotion, that emotional states fluctuate and that this is a good thing. They don’t believe that anyone has or will ever „achieve“ a permanent state of happiness and peace. They also said that it’s good this way, that they like the up and down, that this makes life interesting. And that they could not be happy if they were not also unhappy at times. 

It appears to me like this sort of contrasts to some of the things I believe both teachers above teach. From my understanding, at least Byron Katie has never suffered since her awakening. And I don’t feel like here permanent state of happiness is tarnished by the fact that there is no suffering at all left. 

Now I am wondering.. I could imagine that the attitude of being open to feeling unhappy, as my friends apparently are, is actually a form of wisdom. Embracing suffering and so on, as a part of life. However, I could also imagine that they simply formed this opinion (which becomes a self fulfilling prophecy), just because they only ever experienced the up and down and have not yet had internal, spiritual states of happiness (or at least haven’t recognised them as such). If they don’t have the vision of one day achieveing internal, infinite happiness, I can’t imagine they will ever get there. 
I have also read before, or maybe this is just picked up culturally, that happiness is „like a butterfly“. If you try to catch it, it will fly away. If you stay still, it may land on your shoulder. This would point to a way of life where happiness itself is not the direct object of focus. More like a random appearance. But then, practices like Leo's satisfaction meditation seem more geared towards finding happiness directly. 

It appears to me like spirituality is very often the pursuit of happiness directly. Going straight to the source, instead of indirectly through attainments like success. Lately I've more and more had these intuitions that I want to find happiness in my direct experience. To not attach happiness to outcomes. To still do stuff in the world but not for happiness, but rather out of happiness. Maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle?

Feel free to share your thoughts on this!

happiness is when you take a hike while you takes a hike ... no typos in this ... set aside you and all sadness and all happiness is all Happiness