TJ Reeves

Becoming A Sage - My Path To Become The Real Life Dr. Strange

4 posts in this topic

@Leo Gura HOLY SHIT! YOUR NEW VIDEO DISCUSSES EXACTLY WHAT I’VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT!!!!!

This is an open letter thanking Leo. There are three parts: 1) My enlightenment insight 2) My interpretation of the new actualized.org vision 3) My life purpose statement and the steps i'm taking to live it. Specifically, I'd like to give you a look at my typical day because i've tailored it to become a real world example of what Leo is discussing.

I'll start by discussing my experience with actualized.org.

The first thing i'd like to say is that the life purpose course is totally worth it! There are many great pieces of advice and the exercise are very helpful. there are three important caveats: a) do not expect to the end the course with the ultimate final vision... it may take a little more time and research before you get the real vision. b) Do all the exercises! In order! c) Read the recommended books and connect them to the lessons from the videos!

The next thing I've done is a meditation streak. So far, I'm at +100 days straight. What helped was using the Headspace app. Meditation is my favorite part of the day using this app.

Then, I read the top 9 out of the top 10 books Leo recommends in the top +185 reading list. It was only then I that had some deep enlightenment experiences + insights (with some psychedelic help ). The books helped give important pointers and perspectives. When you combine these factors, they overlap to make things much clearer. 

I'd describe enlightenment as the intuitive, first-hand understanding of a very counterintuitive theory: this world is all really an illusion… we are all the same awareness/being/energy/nothingness/god playing a game with other versions of itself in itself... we seem to have intentionally forgotten that we're playing this game so that it raises the game's stakes... its like we're the designer of the perfect virtual reality RPG, who hopped in the RPG, forgetting we're in an RPG of our own creation once we're playing... and the most enjoyable part of the game its enjoying the beautiful world and realizing that its a game, so you don't have to take it seriously. 

It's incredible! Life really does take on new meaning with the enlightened perspective. 

But over the past few weeks I struggled to reconcile three perfectly reasonable interpretations of one’s life purpose:

1)    the ultimate life purpose – technically doesn't exist out there - but could be interpreted as us all being vessels (puppets; videogame avatars; rpg characters) meant to experience god’s (our own) creation in the form of one’s unique path/perspective in life… literally every action one takes counts as part of this path… it's a path where its impossible to make a mistake... our only 'job' is to perceive things and increase awareness so we perceive more things... imagine being a painter and now you've hopped in your own painting your only job would be to admire your own work!

2)    an inner life purpose – becoming a sage – one’s spiritual path - the way to squeeze the most juice out of life as a whole, regardless of one's place in time or culture. This is what Leo describes as the new focus of actualized.org. if you understand spiral dynamics, I'd call it the tier 2 focus of actualized.org. Note that tier 2 thinking still uses and understand's tier 1 thinking when necessary. This explains why Leo doesn't just up and delete all of his videos on seemingly 'lower-self' topics like 'how to make a woman squirt' (I love that video.. so does my girlfriend B|)

3)   a 'social' life purpose – a vocational path for creativity and business development - the way to squeeze the most juice out of socially constructed life in this culture, in this time period - from the spiral dynamics perspective, this is the tier 1 focus of actualized.org and the focus of the life purpose course. 

I sat with the confusion and over time it kind of hit me: the three life purposes do not need to push each other out of the way. They actually stack on top of each other!

I asked, wrote, and meditated on what I could do to tangibly combine all three purposes in my own life to live the best life possible. If I see this all as a game, what's the best way to play it?

I chanced upon the new movie Dr. Strange, which helped me come up with new ideas about striking a balance between the three life purposes. Dr. Strange’s whole story arc is about achieving a scientific, mystic, spiritual balance through the relentless pursuit of truth. Ultimately, he must give up his regular beliefs to expand as a human and become a sage (or, 'sorcerer supreme' as they call it in the movie).

I examined my own dreams, strengths, and  spiritual wisdom and determined that for me, the best path was as a sage-like neurosurgeon.

It's something i've dreamed about since I was a kid. Specifically, I have always had a strong intuition that the next step of human evolution will involve computer-brain implants and I want to be the person to develop and install in those implants. 

The path of a surgeon is also a path of mastery, giving me clear goals, apprenticeship opportunities, and virtuous ways of giving back.

Also, the necessary deep knowledge of the brain during this path will help me as I learn more about spiritual wisdom, and vice versa. I'm considering doing research on the effects of 5-meo-DMT in the brain at some point along my path, perhaps during a medical research fellowship. For example, there are no 5-MEO studies using fMRI scans yet; I would have no problem staying in Mexico for a year to get some studies published between  residency and full specialization

But the most important reason why I know this is my calling is that its what my intuition tells me. Theres simply nothing else to say than that i feel a strong, wordless, magnetic pull towards it that doesn't go away no matter what I do and makes me feel better as I approach it. 

Some other notes:

The life of a med student = the life of a beginning sage = lifestyle minimalism = the ideal life

The path of a surgeon = path of mastery 

The path of a surgical sage = the path of a surgeon who's compassionate, integrates other methods of treatment other than just surgery, and focuses on making people the best version of themselves instead of just cutting away.

My final vision is as follows:

Use my ability to learn and research to become a neurosurgeon who implants artificial intelligence interfaces into the human brain to raise awareness. Along the way, I focus on mastering my mind to the point of a sage through personal development work. And no matter what happens, its always perfect because the only thing to remember is that its all a cosmic game.

Do you see how all three life purpose perspectives are integrated?

Enlightenment really is only the beginning.

Even if I see the world as a game I (the real, formless I – god/nothingness/siva) play for the enjoyment of it, I’ve made serious commitments to living out my awesome vision.

If you're wondering what this looks like practically, heres my day:

I begin every morning with meditation and many hours of scientific and theoretical study for the MCAT. Afterwards, I lift weights, play intramural co-ed sports, or attend seminars to socialize. My day ends with many hours of spiritual study (i.e. reading and note taking). There is no Facebook, instagram, or other multi-tasking. There is no clubbing, partying, or TV-time. 

Scientific work - Body Work - Social work - Spiritual work. Every day. No breaks. 

I've found myself slowly creep away from regular culture because of this schedule. My friends wonder why I don't party or chase women like I used to. They sometimes make fun of me, yet they do see that i've made progress and fully encourage it.

Most importantly, when it comes to difficult emotional subjects, they come to me for support and advice lately. So despite their teasing, they recognize some development is taking place. It feels weird and at times is incredibly difficult to maintain this schedule, but I couldn't be happier! 

Overall, your new video helps solidify my vision and thus motivate me, Leo. Its exactly what I needed at this stage and I’m glad someone else shares the idea… to the point that I think this video is a sort of godsend. 

So yes, this new vision for Actualized.org is definitely worth it!!! 

Edited by Treeves4u

good luck. 

Meditation is like polishing a brick to make a mirror. Philosophy is like a net to catch water. The buddah did not meditate. It's just how he sits. 

- Alan Watts 

@Treeves4u Good! You're definitely on the right track. This is what it looks and sounds like when you are starting on your life purpose for real. There's passion behind your words.

One thing I would question you on is the part of your vision where you implant artificial intelligence into brains.

Now... there's nothing wrong with that per se, but for you specifically, why did you select that of all things?

The reason I ask is that you wanna be careful not to put the cart before the horse. Make sure you are first clear on the impact you're passionate about having BEFORE you decide upon the method for making said impact. This ensures you don't confuses means with ends.

If what you really care about is raising consciousness in people, then make THAT your top aim, and then whether it's gonna be via implants or some totally different method, that part you leave open to discovery and research. Because what if there's a better way than implants that you haven't considered yet? You wanna be open to it, right? At least you would if your top passion with consciousness rather than implants. But if your top passion is implants, then go for that.

So that there is just a little refinement and food for thought. Try to really get to the rock bottom of how your passion for consciousness, being a sage, and medicine are connected (if at all).

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Treeves4u I second the cart before the horse comment by Leo. Often times in life I've gotten so specific with my goals that I lost sight of the original crux of the matter.

I will add that your post was very well thought out, written, and received. You've inspired me, my friend. Good luck in your journey. I look forward to hearing about your progress. :D