Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SS10

Synthesising two Careers

4 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am 21 years old and have worked within construction/building services/ and account management, project management in construction for the past 3 years, From September I will however be studying Philosophy, Politics and History part time whilst I continue working. I am also working on a blog that will cover topics on philosophy, politics, society, personal development etc, - not so dissimilar to actualized.org.

In the future I hope to not have to be a project manager in building services by day and a philosopher by night, how do I go about transitioning into one field, and synthesising all my experience, degree, knowledge into one career?

Just for some more context, I have completed my Prince 2 and Agile project management qualifications, and have CertHE in Business and Management. And I have a new Job as an account manager supplying engineers and workers for contractors within the UK. I would like to work on Policy in the future, I am just having issues on bring all the puzzle pieces together.

10 hours ago, SS10 said:

how do I go about transitioning into one field, and synthesising all my experience, degree, knowledge into one career?

No one here can give you that answer. That’s the point. A life purpose doesn’t come in a box, it’s uniquely chosen and created by you. That point may seem trite but it’s significant. It means you have to be truly creative and a lot more “unknown” factor involved.

Don’t expect too much too fast either. I’m approaching 30 and have been doing this work for years. Only now do I really feel like I’m starting to zero in on my LP. Everything else was just preparation. It might take you even longer.

That said, there is of course guidance that can be given. At 21 I’d say you’re definitely on a good course. You’ve got a decent job that will handle your survival needs, but you’ve also found Actualized.org and therefore understand there can be so much more. And you’re already studying to make that happen.

My advice to you then would be to just keep following what excites you. Experiment a lot. What do you WANT your career / LP to look like? What matters to you? What do you care about? Those are the more important questions.

@aurum

21 hours ago, aurum said:

No one here can give you that answer. That’s the point. A life purpose doesn’t come in a box, it’s uniquely chosen and created by you. That point may seem trite but it’s significant. It means you have to be truly creative and a lot more “unknown” factor involved.

Don’t expect too much too fast either. I’m approaching 30 and have been doing this work for years. Only now do I really feel like I’m starting to zero in on my LP. Everything else was just preparation. It might take you even longer.

That said, there is of course guidance that can be given. At 21 I’d say you’re definitely on a good course. You’ve got a decent job that will handle your survival needs, but you’ve also found Actualized.org and therefore understand there can be so much more. And you’re already studying to make that happen.

My advice to you then would be to just keep following what excites you. Experiment a lot. What do you WANT your career / LP to look like? What matters to you? What do you care about? Those are the more important questions.

Thanks so much, this helps.