Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cathal

I need advice on meditation

4 posts in this topic

I'm pretty new to all of this. But basically;

Guided meditations are so easy to follow along and enter states I really can appreciate, but when I do it alone it's the lesser that I can get into those states that are so easy when guided and as to why it's the nuerosis that is pretty intense when I attempt it myself, I do try to let it float by but I have a lot of attachments that are basically a knee jerk reaction that pulls me almost every few seconds away from my object. This can happen for 40+ minutes. Is this something that will fade with practice? I am worried I may build a reliance on guided meditations.

Thanks

just be here, if you can do it this moment you can do it the next moment

this is the now, now is all that is real, the truth is now, not your concept or experience, just this

is there suffering in this ? work to be done young jedi. me

Maybe find a balance of doing the guided meditations (Have you tried headspace?) and your solo meditations. If you keep practicing the more skillful you get from doing the guided ones should help you improve your solos.

You wont get stuck if you keep working on it.

I used headspace for about 40 minutes a day for a year and now I can go pretty deep solo. It's like training wheels. 

Also, that is what meditation is on some level. Getting to observe your own mind and it's patterns. 

I am not sure I fully understand your situation but I will respond more if you do

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Every time you notice you’re not attending to the object, pat yourself on the back (only because you just did the most important gesture of meditation, no big deal...xD) and then gently and firmly come back to the object. Repeat thousands of times.

Eventually you’ll be rock solid on the object and can abandon it. Then inquire: Is that true? Is this true? Who knows this? And don’t assume there’s an end point, just always assume there’s further until, and only until, that’s literally not even possible.

Edited by The0Self

7 hours ago, catcat69123 said:

I have a lot of attachments that are basically a knee jerk reaction that pulls me almost every few seconds away from my object. This can happen for 40+ minutes. Is this something that will fade with practice?

Don't worry, that's completely normal. It can feel seriously frustrating, and the temptation to give up can be considerable, but it will get better with practice, yeah, you've just got to stick with it.

Edited by RickyFitts

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan