Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alex K

How To Practice Karma Yoga

5 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I've watched some vids on karma and karma yoga including Leo vid on karma, I beg my pardon in case this is duplicate discussion.

So I gather there is stored stuff in your mind - a.k.a. ego stuff - a.k.a karma stuff - a.k.a. desires - a.k.a. likes and dislikes. 

Then when you are about to act somehow or even think about something, all this stored stuff presses and changes the output producing selfish action. As you are unaware, usual human, this leads to a little more karma being stored in your mind so it propagates and reinforces itself and leads to you personal hell on earth in your mind and prevents enlightenment.

Now when your are very aware and mindfull, you pause execution and observe this poisonous karmas trying to pressure you. So now just like in "how to deal with strong negative emotions vid" or just like in "do nothing", you just do not react and do not resist, let those karma things be. And then after some time they diminish enough or dissapear or hide for a while and you proceed with your action and it comes out as a selfless action and you're a bit purified.

My question is this understanding of mine about karma yoga correct and this is the way to practice during your day to supplement formal meditation and self inquiry, or do I misunderstand smth?

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Alex K

That's a rather good explanation of it.

Karma Yoga would be like selfless action. It would be similar to what I call life purpose.

I doubt that Karma Yoga is too effective at making people enlightened. But it could be highly effective for spiritual purification -- which in a way is even more important than enlightenment.

But if you're gunning for enlightenment proper, I would focus on a more direct method like self-inquiry, or mindfulness meditation, or neti neti, etc.

Ideally, of course, do both! In general, seek to make your actions and your work as selfless as possible.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

or mindfulness meditation

Thanks Leo, I get your position, my current understanding is k.y. would remove garbage from mind and thus help in self inqury strength. 

If you could elaborate why do you think mindfullness is a direct way to enlightenment, from your vids I never got that idea.

@NTOgen I think you are right, that is precisely why I've asked how to perform K.Y. here in high conscious and no-BS forum - because doing it right can help satya to represent itself in my general vicinity.

@NTOgen Ok, I honestly haven't wrapped my mind around this discrimination idea yet, all posts I've read here on it are just too mysterious for me, I was unable to get clear ideas from them. So I will do my homework on it hopefully in under a week and get back to you on that. Thanks for the bread crumbs!

Edited by Alex K

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Ideally, of course, do both! In general, seek to make your actions and your work as selfless as possible.

I would agree with what you said here. It's hard to map it out exactly to the dot for everyone. That's because we're all unique taking different paths up the same mountain - which ever path you feel most comfortable. I would also add, actions (subtle karmas) could trigger tangible enlightenments / awakenings / ah-ha moments / clues. Maybe an auspicious flower bloomed when you did something self-less or planning to do that.