Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BHL_20

Eben Pagan And Internet Marketing Scams

3 posts in this topic

I used to wonder why every self improvement product on the internet is marketed the same way. You know the video where the guy tells his life story, gets your email so they can send messages to you every day about how this really is the last day of the offer, and tells you there's been ten discounts on the price. Well I got my answer recently while listening to an interview with Eben Pagan. Apparently, most of this stuff comes from him. Everyone and their mother is using Pagan's tactics to market their products, but is this really the most effective strategy? First few times I encountered this type of marketing it was extremely convincing but after a while I got completely desensitized. Like I know the guy probably made up half his personal story, they're lying about the all price cuts, and I know there's no "last offer", as long I can find the link I can buy it. Also, it's not like I never actually tried any of these. Once I got bought that didn't resemble at all what was advertised at all and another time I was automatically subscribed to a monthly membership fee (which I managed to cancel but as a consequence lost access to elements of the product which I had initially thought I'd be getting permanently). These bad apples can make you skeptical about totally different products just because of how homogenized the marketing is.

The thing is it's not just scammers that use it, Leo and many other self-help gurus whom I would completely trust use it. Which probably means it's quite effective despite being ubiquitous and sleazy. I know I'm ranting here but I'd really like to hear how some other people feel about this. Could there be an opportunity for someone to stand out if they market their product their product in an original and honest way or is internet self-help forever doomed to be this obnoxious? 

You can always ask for your money back, you know. 

Also I found that I really need to connect with someone before I buy from them (unless it's a cheap book). I won't care too much about their sales technique. As long as I trust them and am passionate about the results they're promising, I'll buy. 

And, again, I can ask for my money back. 

The fact is that you first need people to "buy-in" to your idea. They see that you have authority on the subject so they trust your advice. The e-mail shit doesn't matter, you don't need a email list and if you have one you can also mail once a month.

You just need to go with what feels comfortable to you. If you don't want to email everyday and have some scammy site don't do it. But remember to have a "buy-in" and be willing to give up some money because the scammy shit actually does work.