Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nima

Wanting: Good Or Bad?

8 posts in this topic

Wanting or  wishing is good(for enlightening) or it does not help?

Most of the enlightenment mentors agree that we must be aligned with the stream of our life and do nothing against it.this means to be happy at the moment and be always at the moment and in peace with everything.Is this means we do nothing? what about wishing?

(by wishing I mean what is  described here : http://www.theabeforum.com/forum2/6356.html)

Hi, Nima, nice to meet you.

I can only offer an observation based upon years of observation that is now coming into my conscious awareness; there is a universal flow of             consciousness.   We can see it through observable replicable pattern; The Global Consciousness Project is  one example of an experimenter in progress with scientific controls to collect more data about observable collective consciousness patterns.   For example there was a global shift of consciousness just prior to 9/11 which was measurable and quantifiable.

My personal direct experience is, that once rightly aligned with "what is," one can see "what is" very clearly and everything appears to happen based upon one's core emotive creative space; synced with the inner creative space of others.  Literally the power of one's self talk dictates one's reality.         Either this is true or?  My observations are factual but my causation and correlation is askew? 

Considering I hear of this awareness described by the spiritual and the non spiritual, (IE; Sam Harris) I tend to think my observation is true.   It also seems that the more aware one is, the more subtle the patterns reflection becomes if this makes sense?   You literally see your inner state reflected back at you through the manifestation of your inner self talk state in your outward life. 

I would love some other feedback about this question, I think its an awesome question.   My guess is wishful thinking is the successive approximation towards manifestation of something from nothing.   Does wishful thinking lead to an idea?  Does the idea lead to wishful thinking which then becomes desire which transforms into action?  It would be interesting to discern the sequence of the pattern for replication. 

Wishing is good, as well as wanting. But what do you want? What do you seek for? All these answers are inside you. For example, I want and I wish my own space, where I can create purposely, anything I want, from Art to Zen :)

I've learned that getting out of your head and being honest with yourself if what you want or wishing for really IS what you want, or if there's something deeper threatening you that you WANT that to go away. (gaining or losing "something" always points towards the same goal fundamentally)

There's nothing wrong with intent, but it should be pure.

"Nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so". - Shakespeare

Wanting in and of itself is not a bad thing, either is wishing (which from my understanding you are actually speaking of visualization). To want something isn't in your control and gives you the chance to explore where a want comes from, why it is there, and what it will fulfill for you. 

Visualization is a very powerful technique when mastered, which allows one to make a connection between ones current state, and the state where the thing visualized is obtained. However the trap to avoid is thinking that the visualization alone manifests this particular thing. Visualization can be used  to allow you to see the illusory boundaries you have placed between yourself and what "you" want. You may then simply act out the correct mechanical movements in order to obtain said goal.

Simply put, neither of these things are bad. It is how you treat them that determines it. If you spend all your time fantasizing about what you want, then you're not putting any energy into actually taking steps to obtain it, and that in my opinion is the trap of it. There is also identifying with what you want to the point of becoming upset if you don't achieve it, this too must be avoided and requires a great deal of inner work to recognize.

truly

Z

7 hours ago, Kelley White said:

Hi, Nima, niceLiterally the power of one's self talk dictates one's reality. to meet you.

I can only offer an observation based upon years of observation that is now coming into my conscious awareness; there is a universal flow of             consciousness.   We can see it through observable replicable pattern; The Global Consciousness Project is  one example of an experimenter in progress with scientific controls to collect more data about observable collective consciousness patterns.   For example there was a global shift of consciousness just prior to 9/11 which was measurable and quantifiable.

My personal direct experience is, that once rightly aligned with "what is," one can see "what is" very clearly and everything appears to happen based upon one's core emotive creative space; synced with the inner creative space of others.  Literally the power of one's self talk dictates one's reality.         Either this is true or?  My observations are factual but my causation and correlation is askew? 

Considering I hear of this awareness described by the spiritual and the non spiritual, (IE; Sam Harris) I tend to think my observation is true.   It also seems that the more aware one is, the more subtle the patterns reflection becomes if this makes sense?   You literally see your inner state reflected back at you through the manifestation of your inner self talk state in your outward life. 

I would love some other feedback about this question, I think its an awesome question.   My guess is wishful thinking is the successive approximation towards manifestation of something from nothing.   Does wishful thinking lead to an idea?  Does the idea lead to wishful thinking which then becomes desire which transforms into action?  It would be interesting to discern the sequence of the pattern for replication. 

Thank you for your attention,keily. I learned Inner talk makes our reality and our wishes are part of our inner talk so they became our reality.so if we wish enlightment then it would be our reality.am I true?

You're not going to get enlightened through visualization practice or positive self-talk. But you could use it to stoke up intent and develop consistency of practice.

INTENT << very important for enlightenment work. You have to WANT to know the truth. Not to be enlightened. But to REALLY know the truth of who/what you really are.

Intent is a tricky thing to get right. It should be steady and cool, not spastic and neurotic. The people who get enlightened are like a bulldozer. They slowly roll their way through every obstacle without flinching because they are crystal clear about their priorities. The best set of priorities for this work is: TRUTH AT ANY COST!

But of course all this wanting and intent has to be followed through on with many hours of daily self-inquiry work.

And in the end, you will not make yourself enlightened. You will surrender to truth and enlightenment will undo you.

A great (true) story I heard at a retreat I attended:

Two guys are trying to get enlightened in a cabin in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

It is freezing cold and snowing outside.

After hours of sitting there, trying to get enlightened with no success, one of the guys stands up and starting taking off all his clothes.

He says, "Dammit! Fuck this! I am going to sit outside naked in the snow and either I will find out who I am or I'll die out there."

And so he heads naked for the door.

As soon as his warm hand touches the ice-cold metal door handle, he becomes enlightened.

:D

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

20 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You'rnot going to get enlightened , through visualization practice or positive self-talk. But you could use it to stoke up intent and develop consistency of practice.

INTENT << very important for enlightenment work. You have to WANT to know the truth. Not to be enlightened. But to REALLY know the truth of who/what you really are.

Intent is a tricky thing to get right. It should be steady and cool, not spastic and neurotic. The people who get enlightened are like a bulldozer. They slowly roll their way through every obstacle without flinching because they are crystal clear about their priorities. The best set of priorities for this work is: TRUTH AT ANY COST!

But of course all this wanting and intent has to be followed through on with many hours of daily self-inquiry work.

And in the end, you will not make yourself enlightened. You will surrender to truth and enlightenment will undo you.

A great (true) story I heard at a retreat I attended:

Thank you so much leo . To sum up your answer I can say: The intent To know the real truth of who I am , Is helpful for Enlightment. 

(I think this intent will lead us to Drop our imaginary Identity we get by sticking to dogma and beliefs,pains,emotions and so on)