fopylo

Musicians out there - How do you overcome writer's block?

65 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, fopylo said:

@Nahm

Not trying to be some annoying person but I don't think I quite understood the mechanics of how this works. I guess I see how carrying with me a story everywhere of how I have a problem is confining me, but the thing is that even if I don't state it or don't think about it, it still exists. I might not be thinking about the excuses and all of these things and thinking I have a problem, but once I have the thought of "Hey, I think I should create music, I've always wanted to do it and build a Youtube channel" then the fear and resistances arise. They arise in the moment I have this thought, so in those moments it doesn't matter if I believe I have a problem, it is happening on a subconscious level.

So, no possibly of change then, yes? That what you’re saying basically?

And stating what I want to create sounds kinda ignorant, as if I'm saying to myself "Dude, just create wtf. You don't have any problem, just go and create". We know that the picture is a bit bigger than that.

If you know what we know already - why you continue talking to me? 

Abiding in that state for a few seconds, I had an association of me having a story and being attached to it as it defines me vs me flowing through life as a separate entity from my 'story' and this 'story' is just events the me went through.

A thought can go through thoughts?  Weird. 

But I really have been talking about these things, it's something that really happened. Look at the thread. Obviously I've been talking about it, even if what I said sounds bullshit it still happened. Oh wait... You mean the image  I have of myself as a separate entity talking and knowing..?

Yeah. Like, what the fuck are you actually talking about? 

If I let go then perhaps my beliefs and dogmas will surface to the top...?

Sure, if what you want is top & bottom stories. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm

5 hours ago, Nahm said:

So, no possibly of change then, yes? That what you’re saying basically?

There is possibly, I believe I need to purify my mind from the fears that are holding me back. That's why I've been really into meditation lately, doing the Do-Nothing and more in order to free my mind. But, ugh... I don't know man, maybe deep down my mind doesn't want change and wants to remain in homeostasis...

5 hours ago, Nahm said:

If you know what we know already - why you continue talking to me?

Because it is kinda vague saying "just create man, you don't have problems". I mean the bigger picture in the sense that there are all kinds of fears from the mind linked to this activity and it isn't so simply as "just create". If it was that easy, perhaps everyone would achieve their goals.

2 hours ago, fopylo said:

@Nahm

There is possibly, I believe I need to purify my mind from the fears that are holding me back. That's why I've been really into meditation lately, doing the Do-Nothing and more in order to free my mind. But, ugh... I don't know man, maybe deep down my mind doesn't want change and wants to remain in homeostasis...

That’s the belief to let go of then, the belief you need to purify your mind. It’s not a source of fear but of thoughts. Some thoughts don’t feel good, and that feeling is being labelled fear. Instead of accepting & labelling, focus on better feeling thoughts. Without thinking about yourself as separate, there can not be fear. Careful not to be the attorney for what you don’t want, defending it, making it’s case of why I can’t etc. If there isn’t clarity around doubt as an emotion rather than about you, this would be a good scale to learn. 

Because it is kinda vague saying "just create man, you don't have problems". I mean the bigger picture in the sense that there are all kinds of fears from the mind linked to this activity and it isn't so simply as "just create". If it was that easy, perhaps everyone would achieve their goals.

I agree, that does sound vague. Even to “just create” would sort of be going to far, or maybe to fast. You’re already creating. Fear, problems, etc. Those words point to focusing on what doesn’t feel good to you. There is only really one thought or perspective at a time. Even ‘the bigger’ picture isn’t really a bigger picture, just one thought about a bigger picture. A thought which is actually, now. If the one-at-a-time  perspective which is presently focused on is ‘the problem’, then there can’t be the arising of the perspective ‘solution’. It must be let go to make space. That’s creation. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm

21 hours ago, Nahm said:

That’s the belief to let go of then, the belief you need to purify your mind

But I really do. That is what's keeping me doing meditation - the purification of the mind. From my point of spiritual development I still need to do meditation and purify my mind. Maybe from your point of development things look much different and you might even say "enlightenment is already the case", sure, it might be true but won't help someone way behind you. Even now saying there is no in front and behind is from your point. Let's get it more relative to me.

21 hours ago, Nahm said:

Even ‘the bigger’ picture isn’t really a bigger picture, just one thought about a bigger picture

Okay, so even if it's a thought it is still pointing towards a system, a system of fears and problems (which I've created) that limit my potential and imagination and ability to let go and create whatever the fuck I want. I can't simply be ignorant to them. It's like refusing to look at your bank statement because it makes you very uncomfortable seeing all your expenses and the solution will be to focus on something else that will make you feel good. It doesn't seem like you're addressing the 'negative' thoughts. Even if we created them, I think we still need to handle them somehow. From what I understood meditation is supposed to serve in surfacing those thoughts to the conscious mind (the conscious level, consciousness, however you like) in order to purify them. Isn't that how you let go?

21 hours ago, Nahm said:

If the one-at-a-time  perspective which is presently focused on is ‘the problem’, then there can’t be the arising of the perspective ‘solution’. It must be let go to make space

I like that. I seem to have over the months and years different perspectives which change a bit over time, all about some problem I have, taking different angles to it. I need to let go of something deeper than one perspective

Edited by fopylo

@fopylo really listen internally. Really focus your listening and listen to alot of music your trying to produce for yourself.

With orchestration I'd reocmend getting into or atleast taking sometime to study classical rochesteation and theory.

When your trying to come up with stuff really focus on what your intention is. I find having an idea or a concept in mind then focusing on what sounds and melodies I hear in my head. This is where having the facility to be able to take what's in your head to the daw or the piano roll is helpful. I feel very simialry to you do and would be interested in sharing ideas and discussing more if your interested. Your welcome to drop a dm :)

Good luck man, I believe in you aswell

Edited by liamnewsom202