AleksM

Why aren't we immune to self-deception?

4 posts in this topic

So far, from what I understand is that we need self-deception in order to exist as an ego. Without self-deception we wouldn't have the joy of discovering ourselves.

But, What does it really mean to be immune to self-deception? Is it about overriding all of the survival instinct?  Is some level of self-deception necessary? I don't know.

It's just to say that your mind is not infallible.

You might as well ask why no human live has been immune to making a mistake.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

There's never a separate self in our direct experience (or in the present moment) so when we step out of it into thought and hold some belief that makes suffering a reality we must endure for some reason, we deceive ourselves. Imagination, fantasy, none of that is actually self deception, unless it's taken to be real FOR a separate someone, then you know it because there's suffering. It's right there in the term self deception. Wisdom, love, empowerment and transcendence is knowing that all deception is self deception. 

“It is always the false that makes you suffer, the false desires and fears, the false values and ideas, the false relationships between people. Abandon the false and you are free of pain; truth makes happy, truth liberates.”
― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost