Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Iverson

What Work Ethic Looks Like?

4 posts in this topic

For successful people around here in this forum who have their results in life by having massive work ethics and discipline to their work, what really means to have work ethics. What is your day to day looks like? What is your schedule? From waking up to breakfast to eating lunch then work something up, what is your routine that since day one you still do that? Is there any changes in the activities you do? , When changes happen? For example for a skill you are building and mastering, when is the time you say okay this mastery is enough i will practice this new stuff here for this kind of work? 

Edited by John Iverson

Wake up. Eat. Work with absolute focus and passion  . No distractions. Eat again. Work. No distractions absolute focus. Eat. Sleep. Repeat. 

You don't need massive work ethic and discipline. You just need to realize that the average person has absolutely abysmal work ethic and discipline.

If you work even twice as hard as the average person (not hard,) then you're twice as far ahead. Compound that out over 10, 20, 30 years.

"No distractions" is the big one. You need to work in long, uninterrupted chunks of time. At least 1 hour at a time with no distractions.

That means no social media. Phone in airplane mode. Turn off desktop notifications for things like emails. Switching tasks is one of the biggest productivity killers. It might seem faster to just quickly answer an email when it pops up. But for most tasks, it'll take you 10 minutes to really get back into the swing of things when you switch back.

19 hours ago, John Iverson said:

What is your day to day looks like? What is your schedule? From waking up to breakfast to eating lunch then work something up, what is your routine that since day one you still do that?

You need to experiment to figure out what's optimal for you. Everyone is different and works best under different conditions.

I agree that switching tasks is a huge productivity killer.  Currently I work as an accountant and I try to communicate this to my managers but they seem to prefer someone who is able to multitask and constantly "switch gears".

But I see a IMMENSE difference in my productivity if I am not able to concentrate on a task for even 2 hours. I have blocked off time on Microsoft outlook so that I do not receive calls or texts, my bosses responses to this was a curt - well what if I need to call you? this is deeply embedded in our culture, but in reality not everything can be priority and not everything is an emergency. We need to learn how to prioritize and  practice a work "triage". Very hard in the accounting field.