Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The0Self

Careful about letting spiritual practice change you too much

7 posts in this topic

Just thought about sharing this. When doing nearly 24/7 contemplation or self inquiry, you may notice your preferences changing. It would be prudent to ensure this is actually fruitful. After all, you want to be your true self in every sense of the word. If you like pop music and you find yourself doing nothing but deep contemplation or if you consume any media, it's basically just food for the spiritual ego... This could be an issue. You can test this by listening to a song that you used to like a lot (with decent listening equipment / headphones) -- if the rest of that day seems more spiritually fruitful, you may have let part of your true self preferences fall by the wayside. Just a suggestion.

EDIT: it can, however, be an authentic change.

Edited by The0Self

I wished I had buddhist background or anything before I had a spontaneous nothingness a few years ago. I was just abusing the effect of the no self for egoic reasons, got really manipulative, provocative, outright deceptive, because, yeah this dream has no rules/limitations, why not do whatever I want.

All this shit I did, actually backfired hard on me. Because once the dream feels real again, you have accumulated all that karma, all those lies and shame and guilt will come up. I'm so sorry for what I did to some people. But at least, now I know I will not do that again. (I hope though)

@Endangered-EGO Interesting that deep realizations for you are associated with actions viewed from the other side as events and lies that caused later shame and guilt. For me, what's associated with these glimpses when seen from the other side, is wasted time. Every time. I've gone entire days just driving around amazed at how it's all just happening without me. Awareness of gravity completely gone and there's just sensations, driving, and ego death. Can't get anything important done in that state. I guess I could lie like to a police officer but for the most part lying is out of the question in that state.

This was not under the influence of psychedelics, btw. I'd never drive on substances.

@The0Self I'm not sure if you are familiar with the nothingness, or in my situation DP/DR. But once you have it, nothing is real anymore. Nothing seems real... Keep in mind, I was 16yo at that time. And I have researched how people behave when they are confronted with nothingness. Basically, they do stupid shit as if it was a dream, because it is a dream. You basically just behave as usual, but sometimes you say: fuck it it's a dream.

And it changed me. In ego terms, I make the correlation between this and behavioural changes, so the Now is still absolute, but still it happened. There is no doubt that such experiences change your personality, and fuck you up deeply if you aren't prepared. It's like thinking "I am definately crazy, but nobody would understand that, so why tell the dream people about it"

Everything happening on it's own is an awakened state, but not comparable with nothingness.

The ego always reacts to changes in consciousness. Euphoric highs, or fighting stuff, or going crazy. It often depends on the awakening. Furtunately, I am out of that state now.

The true self is spiritual ego... it's an illusory identification.

Ego equals identification. 

Enlightenment is literally the end of any kind of identification as this or that...

The changes that occur after Enlightenment are because it's clearly seen that the ego or sense of self was just trying to put itself into a better situation..... so those desires tend to just fall the way on their own, it's not something that's forced.

Its fair game after enlightenment... sometimes things drastically change and other times they barely change at all.

For example of father-of-five children that awakens might still continue to be a crane operator making $90 an hour to support the family.

Before Enlightenment chop wood carry water, after Enlightenment chop wood carry water.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

Processes to become more complete are just a part of the dream story.

Enlightenment is the end of processes. It's the end of the dualistic belief that there is a separate individual that will one day become complete in the future.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

45 minutes ago, Kalo said:

It's not a process bro, it's an ongoing evolution. We can talk about this relatively, absolutely, ultimately, practically speaking, however, the nature of the universe remains itself; when the psyche has been radically touched by total transcendental spiritual experiences, it must, it ought to, and is compelled to transform.

Enlightenment is not a transformation... it's the end of the individual that believes transformation needs to occur.

It's a falling away of the unreal rather than a gaining or transformation.

But of course It can be called anything.

?