Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Patrick Lynam

Huaman Existance because of love or fear?

6 posts in this topic

@1 hour and 4 minutes

Leo says that the only reason you are alive is because of fear. I remember Ram Dass says that a Bodhisattva is only here on earth to help us, they have no fear of death at all but keep reincarnating until every living being is enlightened.  Is there something I'm missing to me these two things contradict is leo saying the only reason you 'think' you exist is because of fear? 

Edited by Patrick Lynam

Try to see where fear turns into love and love turns into fear. That might help. Acting to enlighten all beings is only allowed by the preference of that condition above letting beings remain unenlightened. This preference could easily be partially described through the lens of either love or fear as motivating factors. 

Your fear of losing the conditions of this human life are what perpetuate the experience of things as they are for you. To lose all fear and dying are quite similar. 

Edited by BipolarGrowth

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

Fear is the force behind survival. Without fear, you'd long be dead. Notice, that fear is a form of love. 

Edited by Tim R

@Patrick Lynam  Remember, Leo is only human.  He may be wrong about that - his beliefs on the matter may only be the result of a temporary step in his own spiritual journey.  To me it strikes me as a statement which may have been true for Leo himself at the time of that interview - that although he's a spiritual seeker in search of escape from his suffering, he remains trapped within the ego due to fear of what may happen if he untethers from it completely.

Imo there's a very practical reason why so many spiritual seekers isolate themselves physically from society and others - it's because interacting in the world as an individual ties you more firmly to the ego.  Leo has a known persona, he has a brand, and he doesn't want to go 'off the deep end' and risk losing or altering those things.

Do not fall for illusory things like a name, a brand, an image or a sense of authority.  Leo is truly no different from us, even if his worldly status lends his words the appearance of credit.  Don't feel like you have to force yourself to understand and conform to whatever he says is true.

It's up to the person, unless you're an essentialist. 

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia