SonataAllegro

Need help teaching Spiral Dynamics to teens! Input appreciated

22 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2021 at 1:09 AM, Matt23 said:

Be kind to them, be open to just letting them be and grow as they are and let them tell you (explicitly or implicitly, verbally or through their actions, etc.) what they need.  Whether that's just listening to them, playing a game with them, laughing, telling jokes, giving advice, disciplining, etc. I don't like saying teach them psychological models cuz... I dunno... cuz I think kids wouldn't like and and that they just wanna have fun, be kids, and learn through their own processes. 

I'd say kids and teens don't really wanna hear that kind of stuff, especially at a summer camp where they just wanna have fun and do teenage stuff.  Help them have a great time, have fun, get inspired.  Don't be too preachy or ideological on them.  

But ya... just let em' be.  I think one of the most important things a counsellor can have with kids and youth is connecting with them, showing them he understands them and is "with" them on their level.  Someone who they feel they can trust, trust with their feelings and desires and thoughts and all that.  Someone that they feel they can be themselves around without feeling scared to open up to.  Someone who helps them "be themselves" and helps them show that self to others and creates a safe space for that to happen.      Show them respect and show them what self-respect and demanding respect looks and feels like.  Be funny.  

This. Most important component. Befriend them, step one. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@integral  If you're meeting 13 year-olds at the park and telling them that Hitler's actions were morally relative and that rape is an act of self-love, you're playing a dangerous game.