Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Strangeloop

Thinking how my future jobs will turn out

3 posts in this topic

Currently I'm working as a Taxi driver. But what's next? I'm thinking of a Truck driving job. But still I don't know if it's a fiecable idea. I'm living with my parents, the covid has impacted the amount of money I make... I'm trying to get up the ladder, build a business or something. But I'm stuck in an identity I created for myself. It makes me sad... Like I'm someone I'm not. Like I'm fullfilling someone else's dream. I feel like a copy cat. My Godfather has his own taxi firm. I don't work there. My Grandad was a truck driver. Now I'm working in a taxi and thinking of doing the truck driving job. what am I? 

Can you help me? Can you give me a clare career path to choose? Can I accept me following my families career paths? 

I'm either the dumbest person or the smartest alive. Thinking that I can keep this family lineage imprented in me, chasing acknowledgement from my family. Not knowing what the future entails... Nothing matters anymore, future, past, present, it's all the same. Hell I didn't even think of being a truck driver myself, my Great Grandmother suggested it.

Though it's a different story with a taxi job. The weird that happened is that I told myself one day while I was a taxi's passenger seat: "I'M A TAXI DRIVER" And here I am after 2 years of saying that, sitting in the taxi, driving people from point A to point B.

It's widely believed that stuff like taxis and transport trucks are going to be some of the first jobs to be fully automated and put humans out of work in those fields. There's a good chance that there won't be human-driven commercial vehicles in a decade. And once robots can drive, your insurance is going to be so high that you'll get priced out even if you want to.

If you love driving... do as much of it as you can for the next 3-5 years. Work as hard as you can and earn as much money as you can. Multi-task and drive uber while also doing meal delivery at the same time so you're getting paid 2x as much for 12 hours a day. Or do long-haul trucking driving for 12 hours a day. You can earn $80k a year doing mindless highway driving and listen to hours and hours of ebooks and podcasts per day.

BUT you need to be saving all that money and have a plan for what you're going to do with it once automation comes.

Alternatively you may still be able to do more gimmicky stuff long-term. Have a pedi taxi which is basically like a rickshaw or bike with a seating area attached. In touristy areas you can probably make something like that work, shuttling around drunk people, even after automation kicks in. Plus you'll stay physically fit.