integral

It is possible to practice Vision Logic in Chess?

7 posts in this topic

Trying to make better sense of Vision Logic. Been thinking of how it would look like if applied to chess. Normally playing chess involves switching between 2 modes of thought.

1) Detailed View Calculation: linear logic, zoomed in, Step by step future visualization, solve tactical outcomes, goal is to prove that what you believe to be a good move is true. 

2) Big Picture View Intuition: Exploring ideas, plans, strategies, memory, stress, time, practicality... 

Big picture Intuition is used to reveal candidate moves, does moves are then calculated into the future to prove it, avoid mistakes. After detailed calculation, resurface to big picture view with new insights that then reveal more candidate moves. Repeat, circular. Understanding of the position grows with each iteration. The longer you look at it the more you see basically lol... Im excluding alot of detail here but thats generally what the experience of the chess player is like, at least for me. 

--------------------

So the question is, how can Vision Logic be used here and what would it look like?

Ideally id like use chess as a instrument to practice Vision Logic and maybe make a meta-map of it? 

Looking for any insights into this. My guess is calculation linear logic is replaced with a form of intuitive logic. Exploring the future is no longer linear. Maybe exploring the future is no longer needed, can it all be done on the surface? 

-------------------

"The cognitive stage necessary to support integral consciousness. Typically subdivided into early, middle, and late vision-logic. Early vision-logic differentiates reality into relativistic systems, while middle and late vision-logic add up and integrate those perspectives into systems of systems. Vision-logic is often referred to as the first “postformal” stage of cognitive development since it is immediately beyond or “after” formal operational cognition. However, it is not yet “transrational,” but rather the limit of rational thought. Vision-logic is, in a sense, the bridge between the mental and the transmental." 

------------------

Give me some of that trasmental chess please... 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

The thing with big picture and little picture is in order for the big picture to be in your favour, you actually have to have a strong vision or goal in life aka life purpose or else the little picture minutia are going to amount to next to nothing. 

@integral Practicing blindfolded chess certainly opens up your mind in ways you wouldn't expect.

Love and Life

@EnlightenmentBlog Agree, but this is part of a few projects that im working on, one of them is a holistic thinking game. So why reinvent the wheel? Trying to see if we can change our perspective of the game or create a chess variation that promotes holism. Image a chess like game but the main question is "how will this move effect the whole?" because the objective will have something to do with unification. The players best interest is if the whole succeeds. Havent figured out the details yet, just the general idea.

Its easy to change our perspective of chess and view it as a balancing act between both sides and the question becomes how do we maintain the balance?  Play to draw. 

Maybe we could brain storm holistic thinking games or meta thinking games. 

How are x and y connected 
    What is the big picture here? 
    What is the larger context of this? 
    What is the ultimate point of all this? 
    Why am i doing this at all? 
    How is this a part of something larger? 
    How does this part serve the larger whole? 
    How is this a part of a duality? 
    How will this duality collapse and unity? 
    How will this circle rebound on itself? 
    how will this invert, how will this boomerang? 
    What is best for the health of the whole? 
    What is the highest good for the whole? 
    How can the parts be rebalanced for the good of the whole? 
    Which parts are out of balance leaching selfishly from the whole? 
    How is this fragmented? How can it be unified and healed? 
    How am i drawing the boundary of the system? 
    How can i redraw the boundary to expand the boundary? 
    Who is drawing the boundary? How are they drawing the boundary? 
    Why are they drawing the boundary the way they are? (Selfish) 
    How am i involved in the situation? 
    How would god see this situation? What would jesus do? 
    How can i better serve the greatest whole? 

Designing a game around these questions (pulled from leos holistic thinking video). Imagine if the game incentives the player to ask these questions over and over again because there would be no other way to progress or win. A game can be built around any one of these questions. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

23 hours ago, OceanRiver said:

@integral Practicing blindfolded chess certainly opens up your mind in ways you wouldn't expect.

I remember Alexander Alekhine blind fold chess was amazing, he described it as not seeing any image of the board in his head, he just knew where the pieces where. Thats very different then what most people would discribe as "visualizing". 

Edited by integral

9 hours ago, integral said:

Its easy to change our perspective of chess and view it as a balancing act between both sides and the question becomes how do we maintain the balance?  Play to draw. 

Interesting. I don't know whether chess or most games could be redesigned for that purpose. They're innately dualistic because the main aim of the game is competition, not cooperation. Unless you're playing team games. I think that's the closest you can get. In such games you might sacrifice yourself for the team.

9 hours ago, integral said:

Imagine if the game incentives the player to ask these questions over and over again because there would be no other way to progress or win. A game can be built around any one of these questions. 

It can be but it's going to be difficult. If you really want to build a game for people, you have to study game design and logistics as well. What use would such a game have if nobody wants to play it in the first place. 

Wish you all the best, just sharing my thoughts.