Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Luni

Advice much needed - Creative LP & Career strategy

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, thanks for taking the time to contemplate my situation.

I am a 21 year old male living in the Netherlands. I live in my parents home. I have a high school diploma which would get me in most non-technical universities. I currently work in a cannabis store 5 days per week for a minimum wage.

What I thought was my only real creative/productive passion in my life is making music. I have been composing instrumental music, (urban/trap/hip-hop) on my computer for 5 years now and I can say that I am advanced at it.

These last weeks however I have realized that making video games is truly the biggest dream I have, by contemplating what I would do if I had billions of dollars. I would create the most epic, biggest games as pieces of art. the soul of an indie game with the budget of EA. I know this is a ridiculously large dream but I am only following @Leo Gura and many others' advice to dream big.

Being a music producer/songwriter and working with big and nice artists to create amazing music is still a dream I have with passion. 

Ok, now for the issues.

-my survival situation is not what i desire at all. Ofc grateful to have a roof and food but I am making only 1000 per month. If I would decide to move out of my parents house I would literally have nothing left after paying for rent tax bills n groceries. But of course i do want to live and survive independently and not live at my parents house for long. Does this mean I have to go to college just to get a decent paying job even though I hate school and don't want to do anything academically in my life, just to be able to pay rent and not be poor? Are there any lucrative side-businesses that do not require great skill or creativity, or are they truly all scams like leo mostly says?

-The second point I am hugely stuck on is whether to approach my music dream first, or my video game dream first, or maybe even simultaneously. Music would be the forehand option because I already have years experience making it and can get to connections to big artists through my current job and other people I know. But still I have so much anxiety on how to approach starting a music career and honestly have no idea how to begin.

I am also afraid that going this route would strangle my video game dream because it would take years of working with Unity3D or Unreal and programming languages to even call yourself a video game maker.

That being said I would happily give 4 years time to make an amazing indie game like the guy from Leo's blog, if my financial situation were covered to at least have some money left each month and have your own apartment. which college->Job, or an already successful music career would be the only options for. Catch-22 because they would both take immense amounts of time and work.

Like Leo said in his guerilla business video, "What's stopping you from writing a song that makes you a hundred million dollars" Guerilla Music production would realistically have way more lucrative potential than guerilla video games. 

But I right now I would love to spend hours learning and creating in Unity more than just being rich. But I cant take living at my parents home any longer.

So should i just not go to college, keep working at the store and living at my parents house, and go balls to the wall for 5 years on either music or games, sharpening skills and creating product?

Sorry for the rambling. First post btw.

Edited by Luni

I live in the Netherlands. There's art colleges here that you can do while on student financing, like for example HKU in Utrecht and Popacademie in Leeuwarden. I know a friend who went there, learned a ton and started a business after that producing music for games, and is successful with it.

Have you considered something like that? It can give you time to learn the skills that you want in game development and music, while it also counts as credit.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/