soos_mite_ah

90's Nostalgia and Neoliberal Nightmares

5 posts in this topic

I watched these two videos and even though I don't remember the 90s it struck an emotional chord and resonated with me for some reason. I just want to know what yall's thoughts are, what yall remember from back then, and if these two videos analyze that time well. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

7 minutes ago, soos_mite_ah said:

I watched these two videos and even though I don't remember the 90s it struck an emotional chord and resonated with me for some reason. I just want to know what yall's thoughts are, what yall remember from back then, and if these two videos analyze that time well. 

Personally, I believe that the 90s were a golden era of peace and prosperity within America. A lot of this can be attributed to how fantastic of a job the Clinton Administration did in running the country, particularly with our economy and the federal budget balance. Also, there wasn't nearly as much divisiveness within our country as there has been currently since the very beginning of the new millennium. Foreign terrorism didn't even really exist until the 9/11 event happened. 

Nevertheless, the above vids are right about the need for our society to move from neoliberalism. This philosophy has caused very serious unintended long-term negative consequences for the US as well as all of the other western worlds throughout the entire world. 

1 hour ago, Hardkill said:

Personally, I believe that the 90s were a golden era of peace and prosperity within America. A lot of this can be attributed to how fantastic of a job the Clinton Administration did in running the country, particularly with our economy and the federal budget balance. Also, there wasn't nearly as much divisiveness within our country as there has been currently since the very beginning of the new millennium. Foreign terrorism didn't even really exist until the 9/11 event happened. 

I think about that too. But there is a part of me that tries to be skeptical when it comes to nostalgia. I wonder if the 90s were really all that or if it was just a time when the world wasn't crashing down. In the first video by innuendo studios, the quote that hits me hard is something along the lines of things are terrible now to where we miss the time when they were simply bad. 

Edited by soos_mite_ah

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

@Hardkill No, the nineties had left/right culture wars (Marilyn Manson, etc.), Kosovo wars, Monica Lewinsky, Columbine, Kurt Cobain's suicide, and other stuff. Still not as bad as what comes after the nineties...

18 hours ago, soos_mite_ah said:

I think about that too. But there is a part of me that tries to be skeptical when it comes to nostalgia. I wonder if the 90s were really all that or if it was just a time when the world wasn't crashing down. In the first video by innuendo studios, the quote that hits me hard is something along the lines of things are terrible now to where we miss the time when they were simply bad. 

Yeah, I think you're right about the 90s being a time when the world wasn't crashing down.

14 hours ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

@Hardkill No, the nineties had left/right culture wars (Marilyn Manson, etc.), Kosovo wars, Monica Lewinsky, Columbine, Kurt Cobain's suicide, and other stuff. Still not as bad as what comes after the nineties...

That's all true. Though, I still think the 90s were the best we ever had along with perhaps the early to mid 2010s.