Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
How to be wise

Racism: Not black vs white but red vs blue

3 posts in this topic

I was reading an article, were a guy meets racist people, and asks them why they hate black people. Most of the answers given were very similar. 

It all centered around the stereotype of black people as criminals, not law abiding, and generally speaking very anarchical. They don’t fit into society, don’t behave the way everyone else does, and they give law enforcement a hard time.

Whilst most black people living in the west do not fit that stereotype, unfortunately there are many things that work to hold that stereotype. One is the disproportionate number of black people in prison, or are arrested. The other is the lawlessness of many black-majority countries, like most African countries and Haiti. Those countries are predominantly stage Red.

What this article showed, is that racism stems from Blue’s hatred of Red, rather than any genetic difference. The difference in skin colour only reinforces that stereotype. Until a significant number of Black people move to stage Blue, it doesn’t seem like racism will be going anywhere. The image of Black people as stage Red must be destroyed before racism ends.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise

I have a bit of a different perspective on this. Racism in many ways is about survival.

For centuries, white people have been exploiting people of color through colonization and slavery. And more recently with global debt, the war on drugs, prison labor, etc.

Now, if I was going to exploit a group of people, I would need a narrative to justify this. Perhaps the people I am exploiting are savages that need to be civilized. Or they are violent and lawless. Or perhaps our race is just superior to their.

Either way, I now have a solid narrative on which to rationalize my behavior. Which is the whole point. Not truth.

Of course, any good rationalization can cherry pick evidence in order to support the narrative. So maybe there are instances where POC act that way. But because this is about survival and not about truth, you're not going to think very hard about why POC might be acting that way and how even my own actions may be affecting that.

This is part of my problem with spiral dynamics in general. I do believe in cognitive development, but it seems at times to paint this picture that each nation is just evolving independently of each other. If one country is highly undeveloped, it has nothing to do with what developed nations are doing. It has nothing to do with how developed nations may actually be causing undeveloped nations to struggle. It doesn't seem to account for centuries of imperialism and exploitation.

4 hours ago, aurum said:

This is part of my problem with spiral dynamics in general. I do believe in cognitive development, but it seems at times to paint this picture that each nation is just evolving independently of each other. If one country is highly undeveloped, it has nothing to do with what developed nations are doing. It has nothing to do with how developed nations may actually be causing undeveloped nations to struggle. It doesn't seem to account for centuries of imperialism and exploitation.

I agree. People forget that for most of history, black people, (those living here in the US, the Caribbean, and to some extent in Africa) were practically raped of their cultures due to slavery/colonialism. Even in Africa (west and central Africa to be specific), many nations were created as a result of Western Imperialist powers drawing up arbitrary borders, which resulted in many warring tribes being stuck together in one nation. Any one with a brain knows that when this happens, war and infighting is inevitable. What happened in Rwanda, with the rwandan genocide, is a perfect example of a post imperial side effect.