Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ethereal

Life Purpose Anxiety

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum so bear with me as I ramble ( I'm sorry ). I would really appreciate some advice.

So I recently ( about 2 months ago ) finished the Life purpose course. I already knew that I wanted to do something with music but the course really helped me make my purpose more concrete and specific plus it showed me a lot of limiting beliefs and negative patterns that I had.

Anyway , I am encountering a problem. I was always a drummer but I have also been playing guitar for about a year.
I realized through the course that I wanted to master the process of making music with guitar and lyrics that influence people and help them grow. That is not exactly my impact statement as it is a bit too personal to share at this point in my journey. 

The thing is I am at a very beginner stage of guitar plus I have very little experience with  singing and melody writing.
The good news is I have been working on poetry since I was 12 ( I am 20 now ) and I am very confident about writing powerful lyrics.

But seeing the contrast of my 7 years of drumming vs my 1 year of guitar is really demotivating and it gives me anxiety.

The fact that I probably need to practise for 10+ years to get to a truly "good" as an artist and knowing that I will need to find other ways to make money until I get to a point where people would actually want to support my art , sucks a lot of the FUN out of playing and writing music. Which is what it's all about for me.

I just want to be able to stay present and get in the flow state more often so I can practise without judging myself constantly.

In essence , it's really hard for me to balance taking it too seriously vs just having fun with it.

Im sure there are hidden limiting beliefs and fears , but I've had no luck in finding them. Maybe someone could help and give me a nudge in the right direction. I'd really appreciate it ! <3 

Thanks in advance for reading / responding!

See if the belief that you need to practice 10+ years to get "truly good" at the guitar is correct.

The skills you learned while drumming and learning peotry already put you miles ahead of many guitar players.

How good do you actually have to be for your life purpose?

I mean sure, after 1 year you will not be playing like Hendrix! But depending on your ability to sell and how flexible you are you could already earn money.

There is also nothing wrong with getting a side job while you work on your purpose.

Welcome to the forum!

Eddie Van Halen, arguably one of the greatest & most original guitar players of all time, originally played the drums. His brother was a little better, so he played guitar so they could start a band. He learned the chords and scales, but he never tried to play much by anyone, or like anyone. If you google him and watch his more recent interviews and guest appearances I think you’ll find it enlightening. People are, of course asking him about playing guitar and being in VH, and Roth vs Hagar, etc... and all his answers are general, about living with purpose, loving life, and being yourself.  

To me, it seems like your mood and emotion is roller coastering a bit. I would pay close attention to how you’re thinking, and notice that is the influence of how you’re feeling, much more than the circumstance. If it takes you a year, two years, five years, ten years, to play with the ability you desire to, so be it. Understand thought & emotion, and enjoy everyday, regardless of your circumstance. As someone over twice your age, I can tell you with certainty that day where you got everything lined up and you’re happy...never comes. Happiness & inspiration are either now, or not at all. Never in a future. 

Notice, you define “problem”. There isn’t any problem, you only experience that way if you decide there is a problem. I played guitar for a decade or so before I started playing the drums. I found that the muscle memory, mental acuity, etc, carries over. I was recording drums tracks a few months in. I never thought there was a “problem”, I just enjoyed it. Between your time behind the kit and you years of poetry, you’re all set. Just gotta let go of any thoughts that don’t resonate with you. If you scrutinize, you’ll notice it is not actually the thoughts about the years, or being behind, etc, which don’t resonate...it’s the subtle thoughts & implications about yourself which don’t feel good. 

You’re in for a real treat imo, with just venturing in to learning how to sing. Take the time with some YouTube videos or lessons. Learn how to stretch the stomach, sing from the diaphragm, and feel the registers. This is imo, the greatest spiritual practice there as. Pure love & vibration. I think what you’ll find as you go, is that no ‘gets in’ the flow state. It’ the default, the inherent momentum of life...when we are mindful to set our feeling bar high, letting any thought which doesn’t resonate go, swiftly.  Make the form conscious choice, decide, not to settle for low vibration, for self judging. Do this by choosing to put how you feel about of all else. Way above all else. And you will find things do start magically working out for you. When you notice you’re being serious...choose between serious and sincere. No one can pull both off at the same time. 

I’d give a little consideration to motivation vs inspiration. Motive is avoidance. It’s striving to accomplish to avoid a situation. It’ll work, but kinda like a guitar with one strong technically works. Inspiration is putting feeling first, and bringing that inner goodness to all that you experience. In spirit, inspiration, you are freed from the roller coaster. What you experience isn’t given as much seriousness or importance, instead, you choose to enjoy yourself, to just enjoy being, regardless of situation and circumstance. Life is very counterintuitive, in that letting go attracts all that you desire to experience.

I’ve played in bands my whole life, since about 13, and while I’m not saying don’t learn the deep technical aspects of guitar...I can tell you what every singer song writer ends up recognizing, is three chords and the truth are always enough. It will be the poetry of your song that moves you and others, not whatever takes ten years to pull off on the instrument. Just one perspective here, there’s infinitely more of course.  Godbless and best of luck with all your endeavors.  

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Thank you so very much for this advice guys!! I definitely have a lot of contemplation and observation to do.

Though you already have helped put my mind at ease a little bit.