Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kray

Confusion in career

4 posts in this topic

So I am currently a senior finishing up my degree in Computer Science, and I still don't know where I want to end up in the field. I interned at the same company during all my summer breaks during my time in college, but I feel like sticking to this one company limits my options. On one hand, I am guaranteed a job at this place, assuming I contact them again, but on the other hand I feel that my knowledge in the industry is rather limited. In this company, my work was mostly limited to front end web development (building front end components using Angular to be specific), but I am also interested in other fields, such as backend development and technical architecture (this is like product development/management). And because I limited my experience to front end development, I became complacent and lost my motivation to challenge and pursue higher goals. I used to go out of my way to work on personal project or improve my technical skills, but now I use that time by binge watching tv or doing other non-productive things (and worst of all, I beat myself up for doing this). Over the years, I went from being a highly motivated student, too a rather lazy and unfocussed one. And now, with job/internship applications, I've lost all confidence in my technical skill, leading to me not even apply to some of these companies. I used to have this creative instinct when it came to writing code (for work and school), but now that all went out the window, and I almost always do my programming assignments just to finish and get a grade on them. It got to the point to where I even stopped practicing my existing technical skills, and forgetting a lot things I used to be good at, i.e. Angular and Java. How can I bring that creative inspiration I used to have back? Can I still pursue higher goals in my career even after joining and working at some mediocre company? Or have my dreams of working at a top company/creating a start up have been shattered?