sgn

Why Do People Idolize?

3 posts in this topic

Let's say you hear a good song by a infamous artist. You think the song is good, but don't think so much about it. Then the song becomes a famous hit and the person gets very famous. Suddenly it may feel different. The song is the same. The person is the same. Now you notice the fame and realize other people value this person more and feel like that means this person is of high value because that what many others seem to think. It's only just a person that is good at what they do just like a plumber may be very good at what he does. He might be better at what he does than you but you are better than him at what you do.
Is it a sheep behavior? I guess it's the ego in action again creating illusions...

But on the other hand you may not even like the artist, actor, politician etc, and it might still feel very different if you meet that person because he's famous.
Is it because you feel like they are approved by society that must mean something about them?
Or take a rich person who isn't famous. Some may feel of less value in comparison to that person.
I think in the later example it's just a problem of self-esteem and the idolization and feel of more or less value can be in play with anyone you meet.

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

Well I suppose it all comes down to what one values most. If you value fame, you will idolise those who are famous. Because they have an object you don't (fame). But imagine you have that object now and you are famous, are you going to continue idolising the other famous people the same way or will something change? 

So I'm not sure everyone idolises all rich/famous/pretty people because some people do not value these objects, but because our society does,it seems like at least the masses do. 

I think you nailed it in the last paragraph, it surely has to do with ego who wants to do things right and the easiest way is to see where massive approval lies. If 99% of people say the yellow cupcake tastes better than the red one, which will you pick?

Now I wonder if the dalai lama/ mooji/leo/any gurus feel any different when they are talking to Donald trump or to his gardener. Something you might wanna ask them maybe? Leo? How do you feel when you talk to trump's gardener ? :P

Edited by Orange

Yes, I agree with idolizing something you don't have as a basis of idolizing. But, technically we do waste time if we do this. It could get obsessive. We come with nothing and go with nothing. We can't take anything with us cause we really don't own anything. Question: Do you think the infinity is being too idolized in this forum?