Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phyllis Wagner

How to store food in the freezer?

8 posts in this topic

I store food in the freezer in these freezer plastic bags or Tupperware stuff.

Is there a chance this leaks into the food? What alternatives are there?  

Did some research and bought some Glass containers if anyone wonders. Will test out freezing with these, and if it works well I will throw out all my plastic freezer dishes.

Frozen is fine, bpa is leeched under high temperature or mechanical damage mostly. Also consider that frozen vegetables will have a frost on their surface possibly giving you an extra layer of protection. Whatever you do don't put hot water in plastic bottles or at least don't drink it, don't get takeaway's in plastic container (if they do that change the place) and don't use reusable mug made either of plastic or bamboo (glue is used there) for coffee  Stick to glass and ceramic when possible

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

Frozen is fine, bpa is leeched under high temperature or mechanical damage mostly. Also consider that frozen vegetables will have a frost on their surface possibly giving you an extra layer of protection. Whatever you do don't put hot water in plastic bottles or at least don't drink it, don't get takeaway's in plastic container (if they do that change the place) and don't use reusable mug made either of plastic or bamboo (glue is used there) for coffee  Stick to glass and ceramic when possible

Yeah but what about soups and stews that are in direct contact with the plastic when freezing. I don't trust this really.

Edited by Phyllis Wagner

just found this "Freezer temperatures can cause plastics to deteriorate, which increases the leaching of chemicals into the food when you take containers out of the freezer to thaw or reheat"

17 minutes ago, Phyllis Wagner said:

when you take containers out of the freezer to thaw or reheat"

Yeah, this is the part you need to skip. I mean who heats up a frozen vegetable in plastic containers? You dump it into a pot or on a pan

22 minutes ago, Phyllis Wagner said:

Yeah but what about soups and stews that are in direct contact with the plastic when freezing. I don't trust this really.

easy, don't buy soups, make them yourself. When storing self-made that's the bit when you need large glass containers. Buy something like this

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 I was talking about self made soup and stews of course.

And I think freezing can damage the plastic and when you thaw it by just putting it outside that's when it can leech into the food.