Vinsanity

Visualization Vs Expectations

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I recently discovered releasing expectations and that there is no "good" or "bad" outcome. However, I am somewhat confused because visualizing, at least what I think, is thinking about all these positive images, which may lead to setting yourself up for an expectation if you keep on thinking about it. I may be thinking about it wrong but if you guys can help that would be great. I am just having a hard time distinguishing between visualization and setting yourself up with fantasies that will lead to expectations. Also, if you guys have any tips for healthy visualization that won't set up expectations that would be nice as well . Thanks peeps! 

There are three levels of self-development: newbie, intermediate, and advanced personal development student. 

• Positive thinking is a newbie staff. Visualization and affirmation for positive thinking and building a strong ego (identity) fall in this category. Self-image plays a significant role here. 
  • In intermediate, you start to realize that your self-image is constructed by random forces. Then, you realize that the thing you call 'you' and you are proud of is completely constructed by random forces. There is nothing to be proud of. And, you start to realize that self-image is actually the reason for your suffering.
  • In advanced personal development, you completely get rid of the notion of self and you can see that the self is an illusion.

Yes. it is confusing and paradoxical, but it's fun. Enjoy and embrace all of these paradoxes

I hope it helped ;)

Edited by Seyed

@Seyed Yeah, that did help my understanding. Thank you! Hopefully there will come a time when i can wrap my head around this paradox and find the right fit for me.:D

@Vinsanity visulization can be seen as a target..  When you focus on a target you usually get there, its a exercise you could do it everyday to not loose focus.

On 06/10/2016 at 4:54 AM, Vinsanity said:

However, I am somewhat confused because visualizing, at least what I think, is thinking about all these positive images, which may lead to setting yourself up for an expectation

There's a bit of confusion here. Make a distinction between a visualization and an affirmation. Visualizing is not necessarily creating a positive image about something. It is merely running through a 'simulation' in your mind about a particular situation. But rather than setting any expectations that things will actually work out the same way as your visualization, instead you are making assumptions about what may happen. This is ok as long as you remain aware that reality may not follow suit. Be ok with that an adapt to it. In fact, if you do visualizations, then incorporate potential outcomes in to it. A visualization is a way to prepare for a potential situation. Not a way of setting some expectation about it. Affirmations, on the other hand, are about reinforcing a positive attitude and perhaps an identity. This is a very different thing. But again, a positive affirmation is not setting an expectation. Just a 'goal', a possibility of what could be.

As always though, avoid expectations and be prepared to be ok and adapt to whatever reality brings you. That, in the end, is the only way.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

@FindingPeace @FindingPeace Ohhh ok yeah that made a lot of sense. So in that case, if visualization is making assumptions and preparing for the future, would it be wise to prepare for negative things? Like negative visualization? And thanks btw for the explanation it helped a lot :).

@Wormon Blatburm @FindingPeace @FindingPeace Also can I use visualization to help me with one of my insecurities? Like for example if I have a problem with jealousy can I visualize a situation where I am jealous but then act out how I should react?

Edited by Vinsanity
Redundant

@Wormon Blatburm  Ahh I see I did not think it would be that easy lol. So would you recommend to not visualize for things such as jealous, anger and stuff?