Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Someone here

Exploring direct experience

36 posts in this topic

Direct experience=Truth. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

So I replied the following today to a topic regarding enlightenment and Truth.

enlightenment is simply you becoming directly conscious of the absolute Truth of existence.

Absolute clarity about what is Truth and what isn't.

Do you want to become enlightened???

Take out your hand and look at it.. And recognize that your hands are actual. They are Real. They are the absolute Truth.

And recognize that all your concepts about Truth in your minds(thoughts) are not the Truth. 

Compare all your thoughts and concepts with the sensation of your hands.. Notice that your hands are Truth. While all your thoughts (without exception) are nonsense. 

There is only  the Truth. Everything you are experiencing right now is Truth. Is enlightenment.

TRUTH VS FALSEHOODS exist only on the level of thoughts.. Where there is relative truth. You could say some thoughts are more "true" then others depending on how accurate they represent reality.

Absolute Truth is simply being.  Nothing too fancy about it. And you are directly conscious of being right now.  That's why in neo advaita they teach that you are already enlightened.

there is a distinction between relative truth and relative falsehood which exists only in the mind.

At the level of being.. There is no falsehood. Everything is absolute Truth.

For example... 1+1=3 is falsehood at the relative level of meaning and symbols. Yet the very being of the equation (it's very existence) is absolute Truth.  

-Osho

Truth =pure being =actuality =direct experience =sensation, feeling, emotions, consciousness. 

Thoughts Are and aren't Truth. 

They are the Truth since they are directly experienced. 

They aren't the Truth sometimes in terms of the validity of the thought story. 

-Osho

A common question that gets asked here is "does the external world exist"? 

Example question........ Does planet Mars exist while one is not perceiving it? 

Answer :

Nothing exists for the you/me except the stuff that is occurring in your (my) direct experience in the NOW.

Existence =NOW. Ideas about here and there.. Now and then and back then.. Up there and down here..themselves must occur NOW for them to be just more concepts occurring again NOW. 

It's not that there is an absolute static truth about whether "Mars" "exists".. There is no such thing as "Mars".. For all you know mars could be exploding and getting destroyed now.. So it exists at one point and it doesn't exist in the next moment.  How about when you are dreaming and completely lost in your dream..mars doesn't exist in the context of your dream world. Just like a flying spaghetti monster does not exist in this world as far as we can tell.. But who knows maybe it exists in some other dimension! You see it's all relative. Identity itself is relative to time and change. Existence itself is relative to a frame of reference and to an observer. 

So does mars exist? Yes and no without a doubt relative to whatever one imagines this question even "means" lol. But don't go looking for an absolute answer. No idea is absolute. 

-Osho

@mandyjw thanks. Will check it out 

-Osho

Testing direct experience.  When monkey mind goes skeptical of direct experience.  Why is direct experience the criteria for truth? And based on direct experience one can only ever be certain of the content of his own experience. And cannot validate or invalidate the existence of a third person objective world behind the surface of appearance. 

Point one thing.. Just one freaking thing that exists outside of your direct experience right now.. You might say "well the pyramids in Egypt they exist there and they are not in my direct experience now".. No!  There is no pyramids and no Egypt and no "there".. All that exists in actuality right this moment is whatever you are experiencing right now + the belief or ideas that there is something existing outside of that which is actually occurring (the belief) inside of that. 

The idea that there is something existing outside of direct experience is just an Idea that is occurring inside direct experience!!!!!

One can't get around this. 

-Osho

Is it 6 or 9?

Its both depending on where are you standing. And of course it's not just 6 9..if we Zoom into it we shall find all the numbers combined together in that symbol. 

So it's actually infinity.  And only appears as 6 or 9 relative to the observation. 

The truth is not isolated. It's intertwined with the observer.  

When looking for the truth.. One should make a distinction between the  Truth.. And his own truth.  The  Truth is always infinite. While one's own truth is one's own perspective and POV. Always partial. 

perception.png

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

As Leo said "the elephant is infinity" its every possible perspective and POV  that it can be looked at from. 

Six blind men came across a large elephant one day that was strolling through their village. Having never seen an elephant before. each of the six men placed their palms upon the elephant to help them experience what was in front of them.

The first man argued that the elephant felt like a large pillar. as he touched the elephants leg.

The second man argued that the elephant felt like a large tree... as he touched the elephants trunk.

The next man argued that the elephant felt like a long rope. ... as he touched the elephants tail.

The fourth man argued that the elephant felt like a huge wall. ... as he touched the belly of the elephant.

The other man argued that the elephant felt like a big fan... as he touched the ear of the elephant.

And the sixth man argued that the elephant felt like a long hard pipe... as he touched the tusk of the elephant.

Each of the blind men believed that they were right. All of them continued to argue among themselves as each thought they knew what was in front of them. Until one man. who was watching the group from afar... called out to the blind men. “The elephant is a large animal“.

THE MEANING OF THE STORY

This one story has many layers of meaning to it!

What you experience in life is a reflection of your own perception and perspective.

Your mind creates your reality in the sense that you do not always see things as ‘they’ are. You instead see things as ‘You’ are.

Your perception of what’s in front of you is determined by the information already within your head. Your ideas... beliefs.. concepts... knowledge and thoughts all influence what you see in front of you... and how you experience it. How you interpret and understand something.. or someone.. depends upon the thoughts and beliefs you have accepted to be true. This is true whether we’re talking about a person.. a thing.. spirituality.. God.. or of course a religion.

In the exact same e way the blind men all felt they were touching something different.. yet they were all touching the same thing.. different cultures and religions see the meaning of this story differently.

The same can be said of how the worlds religions see God. All of the worlds major religions believe in.. and worship.. the same thing. . However none of these religions agree upon the fine details of what God means.

Each has different customs.. different practices.. different dogmas and different beliefs. Yet all the people of these religions are experiencing the same thing.. God. while arguing and dividing themselves from one another due to a difference of perception.

There are many pathways that lead up a mountain. And every traveler on those many different paths see the same mountain from a different perspective. While each path looks different to them... they are all looking at the same mountain.

This is true from a religious perspective. There are many roots to God and Enlightenment. If humanity took an inclusive approach to life.. rather than a divisive approach... we would all have a fuller picture as to how to get there quicker.

15-127.BlindMenElephant.5a0ac4703f219eb0651dffb05821a8b9.jpg

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

What the hell is reality? 

What is this thing? 

What is your body? 

What is sound? 

What is sight? 

What is every detail of this 3D realm? 

What is every moment? 

Where does it come from? 

Where is it going? 

It's real. 

Here it is. 

Perhaps it's unknowable? 

It sure is. 

It's a complete miracle. 

A complete unexplainable appearance. 

Some philosophy..

An observation that is getting sharpened in my mind recently.. There is no difference between dream and reality.
It's literally like... The dream phenomenon is identical to the 3d waking world.
And both are just what they are. Exactly as they are. Light and  sound. Smell and taste and touch. etc. And that's all there is. There is no explanation. Direct experience is God. Is rock bottom. This experience that's happening right now is all.. Is everything.. Is God.. Is unexplainable.  I dream of the day that everyone can understand this. 

It should be obvious. 

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

Let's take a look at direct experience...

Everything boils down to sensations. 

All you have is basically the five senses. A visual field compromised of colors and objects. And audio emerging out of these different objects. And physical signals in the body. Different sensations. And thoughts. Which are nothing but sensations as well. And that's basically all there is. This might seem like a naive reductionist philosophy. Where I'm denying everything that is not contacted with directly. But it is what it is. I'm stripping away all that's not certain. All that's not present. Because even the idea of cause and effect.. Of the need for explanations to this existence...are not present in direct experience. No where on the universe is it written that this universe has a cause. Or a start. Or a creator. Or even an explanation. No where is logic written. What is logic? Words and language. Which boil down to shapes and symbols and colors. Again just sensation. 

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

So about the difference between the waking reality and dreams...

First of all... It's not possible to distinguish the two.. Unless you go lucid on a dream. But for now.. You can't tell which is which. That is.. You don't know if you are dreaming or awake right now. You might have just woke up from one dream to enter another dream. And this might go on endlessly. Which is interesting because it kinda show that there is absolutely no difference between dream and "reality" in terms of phenomenonal experience. The same thing.. Sights sounds and different kinds of perception are identical. Except maybe in the dream state its kinda unstable and dark.. And there is a huge lack of consistency. All of which are the opposite in the waking state. It's pretty solid and consistent. But dreams only seem inconsistent after you wake up and compare them to the waking world. So it's not highly unlikely that this world too might be highly inconsistent relative to a higher order of reality that you might wake up to.  Interesting. 

The dream argument (similar to simulation theory argument) is that  the act of dreaming provides preliminary evidence that the senses we trust to distinguish reality from illusion should not be fully trusted.. and therefore.. any state that is dependent on our senses should at the very least be carefully examined and rigorously tested to determine whether it is in fact reality.

But my answer to that is that dreams are all there is. Who said that dreams aren't real?  They are 100 %real since we experience them. They are just different kinds of reality. As in they come about (generated) differently than the waking world (as assumed) but they are phenomenally identical as I said. Which means there is no such thing as illusion vs reality. It's all just different kinds of reality

-Osho

I found this random video while searching for the ultimate truth lol 

-Osho

@Someone here Still searching, huh? -_-

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

@Gesundheit it's not just me.. Everyone are searching for what's right in front of them. 

-Osho

Truth can't help but being solipsistic. 

You are stuck in your POV forever.  

It kinda hit me that me looking through my eyes is an eternal situation. Even if I'm going to reincarnate as every living organism that ever existed or will ever exist.. It's stil basically gonna be viewed from the same first person pov. Which is absolute and can only be one. Even tho it's many. Which is when one investigation.. There is really no one in the universe other than me.. And this means of course you.. That subject looking through everyone's eyes out into the world forever. 

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

Your pov is absolute truth. Please notice this. You don't know anything else. and whatever you come to know must be inside your pov. So is my pov. My pov is also absolute truth .  How can we have two absolute truths? It's not two ... notice my pov is within your pov and your pov is within my pov. So they are actually one. I exist inside you(your pov) and you exist inside me (my pov) and me exists inside you and repeat and repeat.... So we both are groundless.. For you to exist for me, I must experience you.. And for me to exist for you, you must experience me .. So ultimately none of us are real only to the extent of experiencing each others. 

=me and you the same thing. Get this? Lol.

Another way to put it.... I am nothing but your pov. And you are nothing but my pov. So ultimately none of us are "there" by themselves. We are dreaming each others up. Make sure you get this. This is good for a mindfuck. 

Everything that can exist for you must be perceived and considered by you. Look and see. Anything literally anything is but an appearance in your pov. So even when you are talking to me you are talking to an image in your mind. If you say "no lol  I'm talking to a real person with awareness" .. Then you are talking to this idea that you've constructed. You've constructed what I am and then you are talking to your construction. The actuality is I'm just an an image in your world right now. You are becoming the image right now as you are looking at the text. So yes you are always ever talking with yourself. And ofcourse I'm saying this to myself. It's not a zen deception per say. I have nothing else to do but interact with myself. 

-Osho

-Osho

Great video from Leonardo. 

This should be taught in universities in philosophy classes. 

-Osho

4 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Great video from Leonardo. 

This should be taught in universities in philosophy classes. 

Exactly! ?

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey