LastThursday

Is there a right way to live?

25 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, LastThursday said:

I believe killer whales play with their kills (seals), and chimpanzees go to war. What makes them different to us? Or is it just sheer scale of numbers that makes us potentially unbalanced? Isn't this just anthropomorphising animals; can we use animals (and trees for that matter) as proxies for how to live life?

Interesting way to put it. 

On killer whales

“Seals and other marine animals have very sharp claws and teeth, so killer whales are at risk of suffering a severe injury when hunting these prey. Therefore, the safest course of action is for the killer whales to debilitate their prey before getting anywhere near them. To do this they use a combination of rams, often head-on, and slapping the prey with their flukes, or tail fins. This can go on for 30 minutes or more, until the seal or sea lion is too injured to fight back or potentially already dead, The killer whales also may kick up the seals to loosen the animals' skin, which they don't eat, says Ingrid Visser of the Orca Research Trust in New Zealand.”

On chimpanzees

This was intriguing, to be honest - I was suspecting that they do this due to human interference in their surroundings, but no, apparently - this is an evolutionary reproductive tactic. Funny enough, considering how similar we are to them. 

On humans:

Answering your question here:

Humans can shape and alter their behaviours like no other animal. These ‘animals’ do not create ‘new’ problems and the subsequent domino effects; their violence is just restricted to their survival - local territory, reproduction, and they seldom interfere in other matters outside this domain. 

They do not have ostentatious means to an end - unlike humans whose greed has surpassed mere bodily survival. The chimps do not care about the oil on another continent, much less the exploitation that comes with such ‘strategic’ exploration.

Also, about using them as proxies - who else do we look at, then? Who do we emulate? It’s all about existence, right? If majority of the beings in existence do not behave in such a way, wouldn’t such destructive human behaviour (bombs, etc.) amount to something abnormal? 

Example: If humans go extinct, I do not think that these animals, as they are now, would bring themselves and other beings collectively to an end, through manipulative means.

Humans, however, could be one of the reasons for their own extinction - through gruesome methods. 

Also, about the word ‘anthropomorphism’ - it’s like treating these animals as something completely outside our sphere of existence; I do not think so.

We are different just in our experience and not existence - so it is very much plausible that we place them on a similar platform - for death is the eventual common, equalising factor amongst all. 

Let’s use a Venn diagram here : The overlap / commonality / intersection is our shared existence, and the parts that do not overlap are our differing experiences and all of it is suspended in an infinity. 

Thanks all for your great answers and insights - I'll go contemplate (and live life).

Kudos to @xxxx for actually looking up info on killer whales, I've learned something new too.

All stories and explanations are false.

12 hours ago, LastThursday said:

I know it's probably a very broad question and maybe the answer is no.  But there's this middle ground between pure survival and pure spirituality that isn't discussed much here.

It seems like it boils down to two things. There are systems for living: minimalism, twelve rules, religion etc. etc. But there are also ideals: pursuing happiness, caring for the environment, being grateful and so on. But to me these all feel contrived - surely there isn't a one-size-fits-all way to live?

What should be the aim for living both as an individual and as a community? Should there be an aim for living or should it just be free and unguided? Is it just a pix and mix of ideas to suit your situation?

What do you think?

You really can't go wrong with some degree of kindness towards others and yourself.  That's always a good start.  Then if you feel like you need more then that, maybe inquire to what ends does this question serve you?  Curiosity?  Security of getting it right?  Just want to know so you can relax?  Want to know so you can tell others?  Maybe none of the above and what ever it is will lead you to your next question or pursuit.

i like the essence answer

very clever. 

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

What your really asking here is what way of living will bring me and experience of the highest joy and blissfulness.

The answer to that question would be to live your life with your number one priority being the pursuit of consciousness.

Walk the spiritual path.

Edited by Byun Sean