Shark

[book] A Year to Live, Stephen Levine (9.5/10)

3 posts in this topic

By chance I came across a book "A Year to Live" by Stephen Levine.

Stephen Levine has been doing paliative care for decades and also pursued spiritual awakening through Buddhism.

The idea behind the book is very simple, but profound. The author proposes a psychological experiment, that we live one year as if it were our last.

What I particularly enjoyed about this book is how the author was able to blend all of his professional experience (caring for the dying and people with NDE)  with spirituality and consciousness work.

One key point to take is that people, diagnosed with terminal disease (e.g. cancer), often show significant spiritual growth in time they have remaining. In other words, facing death head on is a strong catalyst for change, letting go of long-held beliefs, POVs etc.

Aside the main experiment (1 year to live), author also proposes smaller exercises, which can be done daily.

The book is relatively short, but in my opinion packed with goodies.

In case you go for it, I would recommend listening to this book (e.g. Audible), as the author reads it himself and I think this gives the book an additional depth.

Will look into it

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

On 1/2/2021 at 11:52 PM, Shark said:

One key point to take is that people, diagnosed with terminal disease (e.g. cancer), often show significant spiritual growth in time they have remaining. In other words, facing death head on is a strong catalyst for change, letting go of long-held beliefs, POVs etc.

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing!