PhilGR

Should we have the right to commit suicide?

23 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, No Self said:

Offering people humane end-of-life choices is something that I feel we should support, even if we do not understand what might lead people to need such a thing, and regardless of whether it is in our own evolutionary self-interest to turn a blind eye to the darkest aspects of life.

What makes you say this? Sounds as though you must know someone or have experienced something to think so. That, or something along the lines of a seeing/idea that life is suffering. 

--

You an anti-natalist by any chance? Sounds very in line with what you're saying and the vibe. I'm not strongly against that idea, I moreso find it very interesting, with it making one feel a weird way inside. Not in a bad way, just very interesting. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

2 hours ago, lmfao said:

What makes you say this? Sounds as though you must know someone or have experienced something to think so. That, or something along the lines of a seeing/idea that life is suffering. 

--

You an anti-natalist by any chance? Sounds very in line with what you're saying and the vibe. I'm not strongly against that idea, I moreso find it very interesting, with it making one feel a weird way inside. Not in a bad way, just very interesting. 

Truth be told, I had never paid attention to the term anti-natalist until someone brought it up here the other day. I find it interesting, but environmentalism rather than 'life is bad' would be my reason for thinking similarly. 

As for experiences, my grandmother spent the last few years of her life in an aged care facility, unable to recognise her own family, unsure of where she was and almost in a vegetative state.

I had an uncle hang himself after turning 70. It was pretty barbaric.

Then consider the huge financial cost of keeping people alive for those last few years... Meanwhile, there are kids on the streets. Pure insanity. :)