Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Craigxt22

Berkey Water Filter

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

Do anyone of you own Berkey water filters to remove all the bad stuff out of your typical water supply? Have any if you done your own tests to confirm? 

I am thinking of buying one with the flouride filter

Thanks

Honestly, I owned one for 11 months and it is a huge pile of shit. It broke within 11 months on it's top filter. The quality of water coming from it just from how it looks is not even close to the quality my reverse osmosis system is doing. The berkey was producing hard water and the reverse osmosis system is producing soft water from the same source. 

If you notice most of the reviews on youtube are by someone who sells the berkey. 

You are going to waste a ton of time filling it up every day. The quality is not that good, even if the reviews say it is good. It will not even close to a 6 stage system in terms of taste and purity. 

https://www.amazon.com/APEC-Certified-Alkaline-Water-RO-PH90/dp/B00SGGT14Q/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=RO-PH90&qid=1607881947&sr=8-3

I went with this system. It has been really good so far. Install took me about 2 hours without any plumbing experience. A few leaks showed up from the hoses needed to be trimmed. I guess you need to just clip a little off and it stops that. If the commitment of time is stopping you, this will actually save you a lot of time and energy vs a berkey. It is such a massive convenience to just get some water. 

If for some reason you cannot drill or something, then they do have counter top versions of this. 

I compared a lot of systems and the main reason I went with this is the fact it seemed to have the best chance of not leaking. The tubes are food grade on it. I did not see anything about it being BPA free, but they use a similar chemical in the plastic if BPA is not there. Just follow the instructions and it is really not that hard. I could install one of these in 30 minutes probably now. 

Edited by Average Investor

@Craigxt22 No problem. Check out some videos on it and look at what it takes. 

Yeah, the RO system is about the same as the Berkey depending on size/model. I would only consider the Berkey for something like camping maybe. 

Yes, my family uses it because my kids say the water smells different, for me it doesn't matter but I bought Berkey's water filter to make the water better. Water is free from chlorine odor and strange odors, much better than bottled water and easy to use. My kids love it and I'm satisfied that I bought it. 

I have a berkey water filter. Have been using it for 6 months while traveling. Water tastes pretty good. 

Requires a 2nd filter to filter out chlorine & other chemicals. I purchased mine on ebay for a reasonable price.