SMI

Passion And Ego

9 posts in this topic

1. Isn't Passion something that arises out of ego?
2. When Buddha set out in search of Enlightenment , Was he not passionate?

I've been struggling with a similar question for a while and have not yet reached to a conclusion. What is the source of our motivation (passion), if any, to move in a so called ‘right’ or ‘enlightened’ direction?.

Edited by Seyed

It's not a passion, it's more like a quest, a quest that you feel deeply immerged into.

Teaching about the path could be a passion and a life purpose, but it's not because you're in the path yourself that it should be your life purpose/passion.

Being a yogi could make sense to some people, but for others it would be a huge waste of their potential to impact the world.

Imagine if Leo thought that being a yogi was his life purpose, we would never had any Actualized.org videos ...

That's I think the most dangerous thing about enlightenment, it makes you think it's the only thing that matter, and you paradoxically stop your growth. you stop searching for your life purpose/passion.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

NO is noT from ego , passion in my opinion is just like fuel for the engine spirit without it can growth or move.

Passion is an emotion. I don't think it stems from the ego. The ego is concerned with things like validation, approval, success, achievement, status, comfort etc. Authentic passion is none of those things. The ego can, however, behave in ways that can appear 'passionate' but that are really concerned with the things listed above. But true passion is almost devoid of ego. When you are engaged in something passionately, the ego becomes irrelevent. I would say that a true passion is akin to a peak experience. A flow.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

If your true purpose in life isn't to be a yogi, you won't become a yogi, so in this case, it does not work.

You can't become something else than your life purpose, there is no choice in what you will be come, if you think you have a choice, it's either your ego trying to put you in the wrong direction or a lack of inner work.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Ego comes out of passion, not the other way round.
Even Buddha was passionate when he went into the forest searching for enlightenment. Any search for something is passion.
The only difference between a search for enlightenment and search for sex is that sex is easily achievable and enlightenment is impossible. So if one is really passionate one will go on moving, 'til he goes mad or drop achievement at all.
Achievement without passion is not possible. But passion without achievement is transformed.

On 9/23/2016 at 1:33 AM, Shin said:

If your true purpose in life isn't to be a yogi, you won't become a yogi, so in this case, it does not work.

You can't become something else than your life purpose, there is no choice in what you will be come, if you think you have a choice, it's either your ego trying to put you in the wrong direction or a lack of inner work.

@ShinHow to know one's Life Purpose?

@Andrea MarchettiMarchettiMarchetti @Shin

@Shin sorry but that couldn’t be more wrong life purpose is a choice. I chose to be a composer by choice as my life purpose I made a conscious deliberate decision. I could chose anything else if I wanted to. Look up fixed vs growth mindset cal Newport also says your passion could be anything really.@Avadhut I believe that life purpose or passion is something that is grown for example the better you get at something  the more it will feel like your passion so to known ones life purpose you need to build one in something you believe in and then grow it from there.

Edited by BjarkeT