NK13

On the idea of the ultimate life purpose

16 posts in this topic

Is true passion something I'm born with (to be found within) or rather something I've chosen and developed through the years? No matter what you do, you still have a feeling that you should be following a different, more ambitious/ meaningful path. I know it might be some tricks the ego is playing on me to never be satisfied. Of course, on a metaphysical level none of this is true nor does it matter, but still you have to survive ;) . I wonder if I found what I believed would make me happy (life purpose) would I still have the misery that drove me to seek? And so the search starts again. It's like a never ending cycle.

This is something Paulo Coelho and Robert Greene talk about in returning to what you loved as a child. Personally I have found it to be very true for me, but in any case I just focus on exercising (body), learning (mind) and helping others (soul) and I always make progress.

The purpose of your life is to purify your mind/body/soul, that's it, those are the constraints within this dimension and you can see the people who achieve the most are the people who achieve the greatest level of control of the three:
Their bodies look good or they can control their bodily impulses
Their minds are extremely sharp and their focus is amazing
They are very kind to others because the kings cup overflows and you can't even drink it all

@The_Alchemist The question is more career-wise to be understood. Sure, these are great things to focus on but they're more like side quests on the journey that complement your purpose. 

Edited by NK13

1 minute ago, NK13 said:

@The_Alchemist The question is more career-wise to be understood. Sure, these are great things to focus on but they're more like side quests on the journey that complement your purpose. 

Your career should serve your passion, if it can't, you should be using all of your resources to always continually move towards your ideal career which is a manifestation of your passion.

@The_Alchemist That's understandable, but not really an answer to my question if this "one true" passion really exists or can ever be found.

it seams a lot of people get stuck here with this idea of, "what is my true passion?". I myself know this feeling. I find one of Sadhgurus advices helpfull here.

“When you don't know what to choose, just show total involvement in everything that you have. Then life will choose, and it is never wrong.”

If you just start to get totally involved, step out of your own way and let your drive take you out of yourself, the question of what is my true passion might become ridiculous to you.

Its like the question "what is the meaning of life". 

The challenge, it seams to me thou, is if your not very conscious, you may very easily be led astray by your unconscious desires. So other than ofc becoming more conscious, I find its helpfull to at least understand the unconscious movement of desire. (Here Zizek is helpfull ore just sadhguru again if you just want the essence. They talk about the same thing when it comes to desire(and drive))

Edited by MrWolf

1 hour ago, NK13 said:

@The_Alchemist That's understandable, but not really an answer to my question if this "one true" passion really exists or can ever be found.

Oh ok, here is the answer:

It exists
It can be found

14 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Oh ok, here is the answer:

It exists
It can be found

What is your "one true" passion?

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

What is your "one true" passion?

Learning or improving.

Maybe your life purpose is not one but a bunch of different things that you wanna pursue at different points in your life. 

If you are extra creative you might find boring to pursue only one purpose all your life. 

Maybe try chasing your passions and see which one sticks. 

To me life purpose would be something that fuels my energy and gets me productive and creative and enthusiastic at the same time also gives me a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

10 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Learning or improving.

So witch one is it? :P

@Preety_India That describes completely. I get slightly passionate and interested in too too many different things. I couldn't imagine choosing 1 yet.  

Although perhaps focusing on short projects would be manageable.

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

So witch one is it? :P

Haha the same!

Can you do one without the other?

I guess the truly meta one is improving as you can learn and not apply, but improving always requires action

@NK13

IMO you're not "born with a passion" as if it's some treasury box waiting to be found . You're just born with inherent personality traits that make you more drawn to certain type of careers, hobbies, subjects. I'm sure some people have multiple passions and some people change their passion or life purpose every 5 years or something. 

I dunno, for sure some people have their "1 thing" and they're good sticking to it forever, but as a species we vary so much we're idiosyncratic so I'd say don't feel like you have to do it the same way as anyone.

9 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Haha the same!

Can you do one without the other?

I guess the truly meta one is improving as you can learn and not apply, but improving always requires action

xD Well your The_Alchemist ;) 

The idea of having a special personal thing that you are born to fulfill is a childish idea. Its a longing for significans,..A longing to be something. Its an very understandable idea that one can have compassion for the wish. Basically we just want to loose ourselves in something. But this can only be done trough total involvement and awarenesses. 

If there is such "one true" passion It can only be the same for all of us. To become everything. 

Edited by MrWolf