Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
r0ckyreed

Concerned About My Diet

9 posts in this topic

Hello all!  I am new to this health section of Actualized.org Forums.  

The reason why I am posting is that I am concerned about my diet.  I will just get to the point.

I am eating really unhealthy and hardly exercising.  When I do exercise (which varies from one day per week or every 2 weeks) I typically run, do push-ups and pull ups.  I do not work out as much as I need to.

My main concern is my diet and the long-term effects of it.  I think the shit I am eating now will affect me years down the road.  I still live with my parents, and they spoil me with a bunch of stuff that I know is bad for me.  I eat a lot of sugar (ice cream, cheezits, oreos, etc.), and somehow, I am on the low end of being underweight.

I am about 6 foot tall and weigh around 145.  I think I have a good metabolism because I eat a lot of crap and don't gain weight, even with my lack of exercise.

I used to play tennis and do cross-country, but now during COVID, I am sitting around meditating, contemplating, and working on school work.

I do not notice any negative health side effects, but I do want to prepare for the future.

I watched Leo's video on health already, but do you all have any recommendations on food?

I am mainly concerned that if I continue on this road, I will have long-term problems and I may already have them.

Here is my diet so far:

Breakfast: I eat Apples, bananas (sometimes eggs and sausage)

Lunch: I some times snack and skip lunch. But sometimes I will eat chili, quesadillas, tacos, pizza (some times vegetable soup), spaghetti, broccoli, corn, fruit cocktail

Dinner: Same thing as lunch in terms of food

My ideal goal:

Exercise (Run 3-5 miles, push-ups, pull-ups) 4 times a week or every day

Breakfast: Eat apples, bananas, fruit smoothies, eggs and sausage (which I already do)

Lunch: Chili, vegetable soup

Dinner: Fruit salad, Chili and vegetable soup

I think if I can stick to just the fruits, vegetables, and protein (chili) then I may have a good diet.  I am just tired of being addicted to sugar because I realize that my bad diet is a like a drug that will harm me later on.

EDIT: I think part of my problem is that my parents eat like crap and buy the crap and then I eat it with them.  This is a consequence of living with family.  My parents will buy me ice cream, cereal and a bunch of crap that make it hard to avoid junk food.

If you all have any questions (personal or not) please ask away , I won't be offended at all.  

Thank you all for your help! <3 :D 

Edited by r0ckyreed

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

Hey man. I understand I've been there.

First things first, buy this book. Cleanse to Heal This is your food bible. You don't have to do the cleanses but if you follow the regimen you will feel 1000x better. It's not a gimmick or a fad. It's just the lesson on food you never got.

For the family part you have to state that you aren't going to be eating shit food anymore. It might take a few weeks for them to start buying healthier food but you really have to care and make a point of it. Stop eating the shit they cook. Tell them it's shit. Lol do it. My family cooks so healthy now that I have been railing them for the past few years. And the problem isn't that they buy the junk food, it's that you eat it. :)

And for exercise what I find works is planning out the schedule the week before, so I know exactly when I should workout and what I am doing.

Good luck.

BUY THE BOOK!!

Edited by AdamDiC
Extra info

6 minutes ago, AdamDiC said:

Hey man. I understand I've been there.

First things first, buy this book. Cleanse to Heal This is your food bible. You don't have to do the cleanses but if you follow the regimen you will feel 1000x better. It's not a gimmick or a fad. It's just the lesson on food you never got.

For the family part you have to state that you aren't going to be eating shit food anymore. It might take a few weeks for them to start buying healthier food but you really have to care and make a point of it. Stop eating the shit they cook. Tell them it's shit. Lol do it. My family cooks so healthy now that I have been railing them for the past few years. And the problem isn't that they buy the junk food, it's that you eat it. :)

And for exercise what I find works is planning out the schedule the week before, so I know exactly when I should workout and what I am doing.

Good luck.

BUY THE BOOK!!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your insight! :D 

Edited by r0ckyreed

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

2 hours ago, AdamDiC said:

For the family part you have to state that you aren't going to be eating shit food anymore. It might take a few weeks for them to start buying healthier food but you really have to care and make a point of it. Stop eating the shit they cook.

Yeah. I told them. My problem is that I feel guilty if I refuse to eat their prepared meals because they spent time and I know people in other places are starving in the world.

@r0ckyreed Your parents love you right? if you tell them you wanted to start eating healthier they might do it because they care about you. They don't have to change everything, you just want some extra veggies.

If someone worked hard making me a piece of shit, I might eat it and be grateful for it. But eventually I'd tell them I prefer real food.

1 hour ago, AdamDiC said:

If someone worked hard making me a piece of shit, I might eat it and be grateful for it. But eventually I'd tell them I prefer real food

:D Thanks. That’s a good point. You are right!

Edited by r0ckyreed

9 hours ago, r0ckyreed said:

I think part of my problem is that my parents eat like crap and buy the crap and then I eat it with them.  This is a consequence of living with family.  My parents will buy me ice cream, cereal and a bunch of crap that make it hard to avoid junk food.

Is it possible for you to start preparing your own meals? This will make the greatest difference. Maybe you can also prep some for your parents and help them make healthier choices so that the whole family thrives. If they see that healthy dishes can still be tasty they will become more accepting to your decisions. Just a thought. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

4 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Is it possible for you to start preparing your own meals? This will make the greatest difference. Maybe you can also prep some for your parents and help them make healthier choices so that the whole family thrives. If they see that healthy dishes can still be tasty they will become more accepting to your decisions. Just a thought. 

That’s a great idea! What kind of meals do you recommend that I prepare that are healthy and taste good?

32 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

That’s a great idea! What kind of meals do you recommend that I prepare that are healthy and taste good?

I'd suggest you get some good cookbook, something with lots of good reviews and try out one new recipes every week. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus