Malak

When do I know I am knowledgable enough ?

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone ! This question has been pondering in my head lately.

I've seen so many ads of people trying to lure me into their courses or youtube videos trying to give their advice on things ! or should I say solutions to my problems.  But I've been thinking ... how can I trust these people ?? How are they sure they can become teachers themselves ? Without a doubt many  giving wisdom are in the learning process themselves. From my point of view it would take DECADES of experience to be truly knowledgable and make sure you dont give half baked advices to people. I know @Leo Gura, from the beginning of even making youtube videos, you yourself started life coaching while still figuring out how to live your best life. When were you confident enough to say : yes I am prepared for what any client could throw at me or ask of me. Sure that you could truly give something beneficial and of value to them ?

I want to better service the world with my strong aptitudes and inclinations. The ideal would be making a living on those strengths. I am at the moment completing the life purpose course to clarify this.

I've found myself studying a lot on certain topics, more than the average Joe and I live by these principles and  give good advices ( I believe ) on these topics to my immediate surrounding and they are being received well.  

But studying and memorizing does not mean to me, to  fully comprehend a topic for yourself. It's just trusting on some certified authority and hoping they're right.

So with all of this written: When do I know when I am knowledgeable enough to teach others ?

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Malak said:

When do I know when I am knowledgeable enough to teach others ?

I find it becomes obvious.

Anyone who is alive is still in a process of learning. But if you've put in enough work, you'll quickly see that you have answers / skills other people don't have and could benefit from.

At the same time, I've found it's not like God reaches down from the heavens with a scroll that says "YOU ARE READY". If that has happened to you, DM me, I'd love to hear about it.

At some point you just have to appoint yourself as ready. And trust that you don't have to have all the answers, just let God do the talking.

You don't need to be the master of a subject to teach a beginner's course in it. Most of the courses online are aimed at beginners. Usually it's nothing that you couldn't learn yourself by watching hundreds of hours of Youtube videos, it just condenses it into a much neater package with a specific order. That's where the value of courses comes in IMO, they're time-savers more than anything else. Sometimes with a little bit of extra "secret tips and tricks" thrown in that you can't find elsewhere.

You don't find many advanced-level courses or videos, because the audience for them is too small to be commercially viable. By the time people reach a high intermediate or advanced level on a subject, they're likely in touch with other people in their field and taking part in masterminds, online groups, conferences, etc where they share information directly. That's how most experts continue to learn and grow.

You only need to be a little more knowledgeable than your students to answer any questions or concerns they have. One teacher might be perfectly good at teaching algebra to 10-year-olds without understanding university-level calculus.

"Without a doubt many  giving wisdom are in the learning process themselves." -- EVERYONE is still in the learning process. It's just about where in the process you are. Even people who have invested 10,000 hours into their craft. Every topic has infinite depth, don't expect to find a clear "qualified / unqualified" cutoff. It's arbitrary

That's not to say there aren't unscrupulous people who have no business making a course, providing low-quality information and taking advantage of people. But if you go into it with the idea of helping people and not just making quick money, you'll naturally strive to make your material good enough that it won't be a problem.

Don't let imposter syndrome hold you back and make you feel like you're never ready or worthy to impart knowledge to others.

Edited by Yarco