Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RosiLi

I am thinking about changing the direction of my work

3 posts in this topic

Currently, due to the increased number of freelancers, I am thinking about changing the direction of my work. Now I work as an accountant, but I want to do programming, please advise which programming language is better to start with 9_9. And it will really be possible to find a job as a programmer if there is no work experience in this direction in the resume.

Depends what you want to program.

If you want to create programs, Python is probably best.

My experience... I'm also an accounting that wanted to get into programming. I got a book on Python and watched a few starter tutorials but never got anywhere with it. I couldn't think of any programs that I actually wanted to create that would automate my day or make it more efficient. I had no practical use for Python. It was all pretty academic and boring to me.

Then a couple of years later I wanted to make video games, and the engine I wanted to use required C#. So now I'm learning C# and I have something practical to apply it to, a reason to learn new things and be motivated. I've got way further with it and actually have a decent understanding of programming now.

If you're in it for the long term, I'm not sure if it necessarily matters what language you choose. The biggest hurdle to get over with programming is the general logic and syntax of it. You need to get into that robotic if-then thinking. The basics like integers, floats, strings, booleans, arrays, functions, classes, etc will transfer between different languages pretty much 1:1.

As for finding jobs... I feel like I've heard a lot that education doesn't matter as much as showing what you can do. Have a portfolio of different programs and stuff you've made and you can probably get in the door for an interview. Then they'll test your knowledge and see if you know what you need to.

Edited by Yarco